Defense a key for Falcons

Defense has always been a strong suit of the Falcon hockey program as BG has seen its share of big-time defensemen come and go over the years.

Great players like Rob Blake – arguably the best defenseman in the National Hockey League today – as well as Dave Ellett, Garry Galley and Ken Morrow all enjoyed great NHL careers. Each one of them, as well as current coach Scott Paluch all started their careers earning numerous honors while playing defense for the Falcons.

In all, BG has had seven defensemen earn All-American honors while having 15 earn All-Central Collegiate Hockey Association honors.

This season their defensive core is once again a force to be reckoned with as BG returns five defensemen and adds three more talented ones making them one of the best defensive units in the CCHA.

“There are a lot of good players back there,” Paluch said of the core. “I think there is a good combination of size, but all of the guys move pretty well. For the way we play the game we got to have defensemen back there, who can move and make some plays and I think that’s what we’ve seen so far out of those guys.”

One of those guys is sophomore Michael Hodgson, who last season as a freshman lead the defensemen in scoring with 18 points on four goals and 14 assists. His effort earned him All-CCHA Rookie honors as he played in all 36 games while finishing the year with a plus four rating.

Also returning on defense is junior Jeremy Bronson, senior captain Don Morrison, sophomore Mike Nesdill, and senior Jon Sitko.

The three newcomers include Jon Ralph, Kevin Schmidt and Russ Sinkewich.

Schmidt, a 6-foot-1-inch, 185 pound, Markham, Ontario native came into the season ranked as the ninth best incoming defenseman by Inside College Hockey, an ESPN affiliated Web site after earning Most Outstanding Defensemen honors in the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League.

His high stature caught the eye of Leafs TV in Toronto, who will be following Schmidt around with cameras this season as he is one of a few area stars who will be taking part in a documentary series.

“They did a little profile on a couple area Toronto kids and they’ll follow us around during our college careers,” Schmidt said. “Once they do our games they’ll interview me and catch up on things going on as part of a documentary thing they’re doing with the guys they started off with.”

So far this season Schmidt has lived up to his billing as he has contributed a goal and two assists in BG first five games.

“I’ve been lucky to have the opportunity to play on the power-play which is where a lot of your individual successes come from,” he said. “It’s made the adjustment really easy getting to play with these great defensemen. They’re a lot of fun to play with.”

Morrison, the leader of the group is coming off the most productive season off his college career as he was second amongst defensemen in scoring on team with 16 points on two goals and 14 assists.

This season he must fill the void left by co-captains Ryan Minnabarriet, Alex Rogosheske and Jordan Sigalet in providing leadership for the team.

“I’m just trying to set a good example on and off the ice,” Morrison said. “Just working hard, keeping everything positive and keeping everyone upbeat.”

Sitko, the other senior in core, has been a key defensive player for the Falcons throughout his career registering big hits and being a big part of the BG penalty-killing unit. He comes into the season with six career points on a goal and five assists.

Bronson and Nesdill come into the year having only had limited appearances last season due to injury or lack of game roster space. Bronson recorded two assists in 17 games while Nesdill had a goal and six assists in 12 games after experiencing a shoulder injury that kept him out most of the year.

This season Nesdill will be counted on to play a big part on defense if the Falcons are to improve on last season’s fifth place CCHA finish.

“Nezzie [Nesdill] is entering a season healthy for the first time,” Paluch said. “I think he is going to have a terrific year for us.”

Nesdill has recorded one assist so far this season playing in all five games.

All eight defensemen have played in at least one game as they’ve contributed two goals and five assists.

“Anyone of us can play with any other guy in the defensive core,” Morrison said. “This year it seems like the D-core is just a tighter group – it’s just easier to play with everyone it seems like which is really good.”