Donors allowed first dibs on naming

‘#160;

It all comes down to the money.

When large financial contributions are pledged to the University to construct or improve buildings, donors have the option to choose the name.

As a result of Bob and Karen Sebo’s $3.5 million donation for the athletic center that will be built at the northern end of Doyt Perry Stadium, it will be named the Sebo Athletic Center.

In order to receive naming rights to this facility, a pledge of half the total cost had to be made.

The Sebo Center will be constructed completely from private donations, said Dick Waring, major gift officer for intercollegiate athletics.

Approximately $5 million has already been pledged and the expected cost is $7 million.

But naming the building requires approval from the Board of Trustees, the University president and the athletic director according to Waring.

Multiple naming opportunities for the Sebo Athletic Center still exist starting with donations of $25,000.

Of the 46 rooms in the center, 20 have already been named.

“We are interested with people making contributions first,” Waring said. “Then we will go back [to them] with their options.”

Over the next year, Waring hopes to contact all former athletes, coaches, staff and anyone interested in the University’s athletics for donations towards the Sebo Athletic Center.

“Anything we are asking is over and above any annual gifts they make,” Waring said.

Waring is forming a steering committee of the nine people who have already pledged over $100,000 for the athletic center.

The committee’s goals will focus on coming up with new ideas to raise the additional funds needed.

The Bowen-Thompson Student Union was named after two University alumni who graduated in the early 50s.

Robert and Ellen (Bowen) Thompson donated the largest gift of $3 million.

“The largest single gift to the Bowen-Thompson Student Union project was granted the naming right,” said Mary Edgington, director of the Union.

Various rooms throughout the Union and the brick wall on the first floor were created due to other donations.

Now other universities tour the Union when making plans for improvements on their own facilities.

“We’re a showcase,” Edgington said. “This is the greatest form of flattery when other schools want to emulate us. I consider it a great compliment.”

‘#160;