Bruin up a family reunion

For two seasons they teamed up on the ice for the Bowling Green hockey team and helped the Falcons become one of the best defensive teams in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. Now, the Sigalet brothers are reunited again and like the Peaches ‘amp; Herb song says, ‘it feels so good.’

On Aug. 15, former Falcon defenseman Jonathan Sigalet agreed to terms with the Boston Bruins on a three-year deal, thus foregoing his last two years of college eligibility. A deal that will once again team him up with his older brother and former Falcon goaltender Jordan Sigalet, who signed a one-year deal with the Bruins Aug. 5.

‘I am really excited to have the opportunity to continue playing with Jordan,’ the younger Sigalet said. ‘He had a great college career and is going to make a great pro.’

The Bruins selected Jonathan in the fourth round of the NHL entry draft July 30 as the No. 100 overall pick. Jordan was drafted in the seventh round No. 209 overall of the 2001 entry draft.

The reunion will mark only the second time the two brothers have played for the same squad, as the two are separated in age by nearly five years Jordan is 24 and Jonathan is 19.

‘This decision to leave was solely Jonathan’s,’ Jordan said of his brother’s signing. ‘I didn’t want to put any extra pressure on him when it came to making his choice, and I am excited that he did choose to sign.’

Entering college, Jonathan was considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the country and one of the top five freshman defensemen. His speed, stick handling, ability to score on the offensive end and defensive play caught the eye of many schools, but in the end the prospects of playing with his brother lead him to Bowling Green.

In his two seasons as a Falcon, Jonathan scored six goals and recorded 25 assists. Most of his scoring came on the power-play, in which he was a key point-man for, as 15 of his total points were registered with the extra-attacker.

This past season he had a career-high 16 points which was second on the team among defensemen to Michael Hodgson, who had 18.

BG coach Scott Paluch was hoping he would have Jonathan at his disposal again this season but said he supported the decision he made.

‘This is an opportunity Jonathan has always wanted,’ Paluch said in a general media statement. ‘The Boston Bruins feel he is ready for the next jump and we wish him all the success at the next level.’

Though some feel he could have stayed at BG another year to further develop his game, Jonathan believed now was the time to make the jump to the professional ranks.

‘Leaving Bowling Green was a very tough decision for me,’ he said. ‘When it came down to it, Boston presented me an opportunity that I felt I couldn’t pass up.’

For Jordan, the opportunity to go pro came harder in the beginning, but as the years went by, it became more easier.

This past season he had a save percentage of .915, setting a BG career record with that percentage. His goals against average was 2.89 as he helped the Falcons earn their first home CCHA playoff series in over a decade and was nominated as a Hobey Baker Award Finalist, given to the nation’s top player.

He’ll go down as one of the best Falcon hockey players of all-time not only for his play on the ice, but for the way he inspired everyone off the ice as well. His battles this past season with Multiple Sclerosis showed others with his condition what they are capable of doing with hard work and determination.

Now as a Bruin, he hopes he and his brother will get the chance to prove what each of them is capable of. He knows there are ‘no guarantees’ though and that they’ll have another battle on their hands.

‘Both of us signing is the first step and now we have to go into camp and battle for a job,’ he said. ‘Hopefully we will be on the ice together once again come the start of the season in October.’