Track team heads off to Ann Arbor

For the Bowling Green track team, the beginning of the indoor season is not only a time to see where they stand on a competitive level, but it is also a chance to see where each of them stand on the team.

After finishing second at the BGSU Invitational last weekend and the Saginaw Valley Classic meet in December, the Falcons still aren’t sure where they stand talent-wise.

“The first meet was kind of a warm-up,” BG head coach Scott Sehmann said. “The competition was not as strong as this week. But even this weekend won’t be a true indicator of where we’re at.”

Even if BG doesn’t know where they fit in, they are sitting pretty thus far as they have seen some strong showings from some of their runners.

Last weekend Jessica White took first place in both the 60 and 200 meter dashes. The Falcons also had some solid showings in the distance events as Melissa Krueger and Jamie Roflow were able to win the 1,600 and the 3,000 meter races.

And in the field, Kerri McClung held strong, taking home a first place finish in the shot put with a throw of 15.36 meters.

In that meet, the Falcons competed with three teams from the Mid-American Conference, beating two of them.

This weekend will be no different as four MAC teams will be competing at the Red Simmons Invitational.

“It’s very important from a mental aspect for the kids to know that they can compete with teams that have finished at the top of the MAC the past few years,” Sehmann said. “And for a lot of kids, these are their first collegiate races, so this gives a lot of kids an idea of what it takes to be competitive.”

For BG, this will be the toughest competition they’ve seen this season.

“This gives us a chance to see a few more MAC schools,” Sehmann said. “And we’ll be competing against Big East and Big Ten schools.”

But for the Falcons, the bread and butter of the season will come later in the season when they get into the middle of their conference schedule.

This meet will allow BG to see who on the team is capable of doing what.

“It’s not a huge meet,” Sehmann said. “It’s not scored so we can move people around a bit.”

The key in this event will be getting some solidarity within the team and building chemistry.

“Consisitency is something you look for in the whole team,” Sehmann said. “You have to be consistent in this sport so that when the competition rises you can meet the challenge.”

The Falcons will meet the competition Sunday at 10 a.m. when they travel to Ann Arbor for the Red Simmons Invitational.