Men’s hoops set for rough week

Hey, even though they’re taller than everyone and stronger than everyone and dunk a basketball better than everyone, the Bowling Green men’s basketball team is only human.

That is why they are dealing with the same transitions every BG student is going through as spring class begins.

“Over break every day was basketball,” BG head coach Dan Dakich said. “Now, schools is starting, girlfriends are back, girls you want to be your girlfriends are back and girls you don’t want to be your girlfriend are back. So it is a less total basketball environment.”

The Falcons have thrived in a total basketball environment in the past weeks as they’ve used their concentration — and shooting skills — to start 3-0 in the Mid-American Conference.

Now that they have come out of the total basketball zone, the Falcons have an even more daunting task standing in their way than professors and love interests and it comes in the form of Eastern Michigan.

The Eagles have been a bit of a surprise in the MAC this season as they’ve jumped out to a 9-4 start and 3-1 in conference play.

Post player John Bowler leads the Eastern attack in the paint and is averaging 15 points and 6.5 rebounds per contest. He gives Eastern their sturdy mentality.

“They’re a very physical and tough team,” Dakich said. “They’ve got a tough guy with Bowler inside.”

But it doesn’t stop there, the Eagles have a few veterans to keep their motor running.

“Their seniors [Michael] Ross and [James] Jackson are having senior-type years,” Dakich said.

Ross’ senior-type season has him averaging 11.8 points per game and four assists per game while Jackson comes into tonight’s contest averaging 8.9 points, 7.8 rebounds and around a block and a steal per contest.

But the Falcons have more than enough weapons to compete with a team like Eastern.

Forward Josh Almanson is one of the most improved players in the MAC and is averaging 19.1 points and five rebounds per game. Not to be outdone is fellow forward John Reimold, who is continuing his domination of opponents this season, averaging 16.5 points, five rebounds, 2.1 assists per contest all while shooting 51.6 percent from the three-point line.

And while these two and the rest of the Falcons have had some solid showings on the road they have yet to take down a team as talented as Eastern away from Anderson Arena.

“Eastern is a game that if we can win we, will show ourselves we can win a big game on the road,” Reimold said.

The Falcons will get a chance to get a big win away from home tonight when they take on Eastern Michigan.