Coffee finds new home

Carnation Cafe is now a memory for many, replaced in the Union by plywood and a sign proclaiming that Starbucks will be here soon.

But the goal for Gail Finan, director of Dining Services at the University, was not to take away coffee options while students wait for Starbucks to open or to butt out local coffee supplier Grounds for Thought.

Instead, the staff of Dining Services wanted to offer options.

This was the inspiration for creating The Underground, a coffee and snack shop that can create cappuccinos, lattes and espressos — just like Carnation Cafe.

The Underground is located in the basement of Founders Residence Hall taking the place of Keeper’s Snack Shop.

Kelly Wicks, owner of Grounds for Thought, said he is happy with the creation of The Underground because it is a way for their coffee to stay on campus.

Grounds for Thought has been sold at the University since 1991, when the coffee was sold in the old Union. Today, Grounds for Thought coffee is sold in the Falcon’s Nest, in the McDonald Dining Hall and athletic events.

“We knew several years ago that there was an interest to develop an identity in the Union for nationally branded products, so at that point we worked to strengthen our relationship with Dining Services to make sure that we offer the students a choice,” Wicks said.

Another individual who is content with the decision to open The Underground is Daria Blachowski-Dreyer, general manager of Founders’ Dining Hall.

“We actually wanted it back, because when the Union was closed we housed all the coffee equipment here,” Blachowski-Dreyer said. “Then when Starbucks came along they said, ‘we need someplace for [the equipment] to go,’ and we raised our hands first.”

Selling specialty coffee had been a successful concept when housed in Founders, she said and she predicts it will again.

“It doesn’t hurt that we are centered around several administration buildings,” Blachowski-Dreyer said. “It is good for the faculty and staff to have someplace different to go.”

Students with Flexfunds will also benefit from this change giving them a place to spend their food plans on specialty drinks outside of the Union.

“For breakfast this is one-stop shopping,” Blachowski-Dreyer said. “We serve hot breakfast, we have a la carte things, yogurt, cereal bars, doughnuts and pastries.”

The Underground also extended the former shop’s hours and is open 7-10 a.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. on weekends.

It is Dining Services’ hope to have Starbucks open later this semester, Finan said. Although its opening had initially been much earlier.

“It is under construction now,” Finan said. “We plan to open in March, but we had hoped to open by fall break. So we are not holding our breath.”

In a few weeks another location will open up for coffee drinkers, carrying Grounds for Thoughts specialty drinks. The store called Grounds to Go will be located in Chili’s where the Neighborhood Deli was last semester.

The Neighborhood Deli has been moved to one of the lines in Common’s Dining Center, unclogging Chili’s during busy business hours.

Wicks said he is equally excited about this second store opening and praises Dining Services for recognizing student’s needs. He said he understands the desire for national brands, but is happy Dining Services will keep their local ties.

A campus survey administrated by Dining Services a few years ago found that many students wanted a Starbucks on campus. Wicks said that although many argue against national chains, he thinks Dining Services has done the right thing.

“A survey was done that showed students wanted a Starbucks,” Wicks said. “If there is any resentment towards the national player it certainly shouldn’t be focused at Dining Services. The hard work by Dining Services is why we are still here.”

This, said Finan, was the goal.

“Starbucks is a branded, nationally known concept. Grounds for Thought is a business that is supporting the community,” she said. “So I think we are offering faculty, staff and students a few alternatives.”