Tennis goes 0-3 on West Coast road trip

The women’s tennis team came back from its spring trip to California without a win, but with an experience coach Penny Dean said she believes will help it for the rest of the season. The team played three close matches and had a chance to play outside for the first time this semester.

“I think it was a good trip,” Dean said. “We went 0-3. But it was close competition, and it was on outdoor courts.”

The team dropped its first match on the trip to Colorado State, 5-2, and its second to Cal State Northridge by the same score. Yet Dean was most upset by the third loss, a 4-3 defeat to Cal Riverside, which dropped the Falcons’ record to 1-11 this season.

“The match against UC Riverside was a disappointment because we should have won,” Dean said. “But I feel like we got a ton of match play in, so the trip was worthwhile.”

One of the bright spots on the trip was the play of Lisa Maloney and Gaby Coello in doubles play. The two started pairing together only a few weeks ago and won three of their matches on the trip. Maloney believes the new doubles combination will only continue to get better.

“Gaby and I just started playing with each other,” Maloney said. “Once we get used to playing together, we should improve.”

The team’s next match will be Friday against Ball State. They will follow that with a match on Saturday against Indiana State. Both will be on the road in Indiana. Dean believes that BG should be able to win both matches.

“We match up very well with Ball State,” Dean said. “They are young just like us, and that will give us a chance to take the match. With Indiana State, they are at about the same level as us, and I think we may have more depth than they do. In both matches, the doubles point will be key.”

Maloney agreed with the coach.

“We were put in some tough conditions in California and did pretty well,” Maloney said. “As long as we get into the right mindset, we should be able to win.”