BG gridders begin training

No, it hasn’t been two weeks since Bowling Green finished off first year under head coach Urban Meyer with a 56-21 victory over arch-rival Toledo. It’s been five months, and the Falcons are back on the field for their spring training.

The Falcons began April 1 and will have their seventh and eighth practices today and tomorrow. BG will practice for three weeks in preparation for its annual spring game, to be held April 27.

Meyer returns for his second year at the helm of the Falcon football program, having guided the team to their best record since 1994, when BG finished 9-2. The Falcons lost 13 starters from last year’s team, including first-team All-MAC selection Brandon Hicks and second-team selection Khary Campbell.

Despite being early into spring practice, the Falcons, do know they have a string base of returnees in all areas – offense, defense and special teams.

Defense

Despite the losses of Campbell and Hicks, a strong group of defensive backs returns on the defensive side of the ball. Sophomore Keon Newson and juniors Jason Morton and Janssen Patten – the latter of which intercepted four passes in 2001 – have all had strong openings to their springs. Morton has switched to safety. The defensive line has been struggling thus far, but junior linebacker Mitch Hewitt has pleasantly surprised Meyer.

“Hewitt has picked up right where Khary Campbell left off,” Meyer said. “Even though we don’t have a lot of depth in the secondary, Jason Morton has had a great beginning, and Janssen and Keon are two of the best corners in the conference.”

Alex Glantzis has been most impressive on the line thus far, after making 33 tackles and intercepting one pass a year ago.

Offense

Meyer is perhaps most impressed with the offensive side of the ball, but, the offense too has its areas of concern as well. The running backs are once again deep, even having lost John Gibson to graduation. Joe Alls, who ran for 577 yards last year in an injury-plagued season, is back and has taken over the job as No. 1 back. Others have impressed as well.

The receivers are re-loading after losing seniors David Bautista and Kurt Gerling. Those two combined for 88 receptions and 10 touchdowns in 2001. Robert Redd, an All-MAC first team selection in 2001, is back, along with Cole Magner, who split time at running back, quarterback and receiver a year ago.

“Joe is definitely the No. 1 running back,” Meyer said, “but Godfrey (Lewis) has made strides and B.J. Lane also has practiced well. Robert Redd and Cole Magner and James Hawkins will be the starters at receivers most likely. … Hawkins has played well thus far this spring.”

The quarterback position also presents Meyer with a dilemma more would like to have, with Andy Sahm, Josh Harris and two talented freshmen vying for the job. Harris and Sahm have split time in the past two seasons, and figure to do so again. Harris broke out in 2001, leading the team in rushing and throwing for nine touchdowns as well.

The line has four players who were all looking to contribute significant time are all shelved with injuries. Sophomore Andrew Hart is recovering from offseason knee surgery, while Jon Mazur, Rob Warren and Dennis Wendel are all nursing other injuries.

Special Teams

Punter Pat Fleming became a dangerous weapon last year, averaging 40.1 yards per punt and pinning his opposition inside the 20-yard line 20 times. The place-kickers, however, weren’t as fortunate. Sean Suisham made just three of eight field goal attempts.

“The kickers are doing okay,” Meyer said. “They can do it, they just need to learn how to do it when it counts – in games. Pat is still Pat; he does everything right all of the time.”