Bissinger relishes role

Even before Devon Bissinger was swinging the racket for the Bowling Green women’s tennis team, she had the roots of a Falcon.

Her sister Deidre set many records for the Falcons, including most career wins. According to coach Penny Dean, Devon had a strong chance to break her sister’s record.

“When Devon first came in here as a freshman, I thought she had a chance to break the record for most career wins,” Dean said. “Unfortunately for her, she never had a chance to break it because of injuries. But I think she might be the most talented player in the history of the program.”

For two seasons, Devon played alongside her sister, as well as several upperclassmen who helped lead the Falcons to winning seasons. This season, Bissinger found herself as the only senior on a squad of nine players. Alyson Gabel, the team’s lone junior, just transferred this year from Miami University. That placed Bissinger in a leadership role, whether she wanted it or not.

“In past years we have been a senior-based team,” Bissinger said. “This year we have mainly freshman and sophomore players, so I definitely had to change my role.”

Dean said Bissinger has handled the change very well.

“She has really come into her own,” Dean said. “As a player and a leader, she has helped our team out tremendously, which is important because we are so young.”

The Falcons have struggled this season, in part because of that inexperience. With the team’s record at 2-17, Bissinger said she knew that this would be a season for development of the younger players.

“It has its good parts and bad parts,” Bissinger said. “But we knew that since we would be so much younger that we would have to get the players ready for college.”

Dean said that the leadership that Bissinger has shown will help the team next year.

“There will definitely be a carry-over,” Dean said. “She had to be our link to the past.”

To Bissinger, her four years as a player have caused her to develop both as a player and a person.

“It has definitely developed me on and off the court,” Bissinger said. “I knew a lot about the history and tradition at Bowling Green, and playing here has helped me. I love the school.”

With her leadership, Bissinger has insured that, just like she was a Falcon before she came here, she will be a Falcon long after she leaves.