Netters fall in championship

It was the final chapter in a legacy that has spawned over 30 years, and the book ended with an exciting – if disappointing – climax.

The Bowling Green men’s tennis team came up just short, falling 4-3 in the Mid-American Conference tournament finals to Ball State University. It was the final match of the season for coach Jay Harris’ Falcons, and the final match in BG men’s tennis history.

“We had a hell of a run, that’s all I can say,” said team captain Mike Kossoff. “I think it was the most exciting finals match in MAC history, but it just didn’t go our way.” The Falcons were led by freshman Ian Bliss, who defeated Ball State’s Brad Rhodes in three sets (6-4, 2-6, 6-4).

“Ian was awesome out there,” Kossoff said. “He really was hitting the ball well.”

BG also got wins from sophomore Milos Jirout and junior Nicolas Lopez-Acevedo. Sophomore Joel Carney was the last Falcon left on the court after Bliss won his set, which tied the match at three. Carney faced Ball State’s Matt Laramore.

“I was up 3-0 and just couldn’t get it done,” Carney said.

The loss ended the Falcons’ season with a record of 19-11 in dual-match play.

Bliss’ good play in the final match was in part because of Kossoff. After being unable to finish a match in the semifinals against Northern Illinois, Kossoff went to men’s coach Jay Harris and told him that he may want to consider playing Bliss instead of him in the finals.

“I just wanted to do what was best for the team,” Kossoff said. “I wanted to win the match more than anything else.”

“For my captain to do that speaks volumes for him and the commitment he has for the program,” Harris said in an article posted on bgsufalcons.com. “Mike’s a special guy, and he’s been the heart and soul of our program for four years. That was huge, and Ian got in there and got a ‘W.'”

At the conclusion of the match, junior Geoff Hiscox was named MAC Player of the Year, while Harris was named MAC Coach of the Year.

“The year was fun, and the overall season was great,” Carney said. “We owe a lot to the fans, the players on the other teams, and everyone else who has supported us. It has been a great run.”

Kossoff mentioned the team’s unity, and how that has helped to make the season special.

“We are like a family, and we have nothing to be upset about,” Kossoff said. “I am not bitter at all. It has just been an awesome year, the best one for me. I felt like I played my best tennis this year, and I had a really good time.”

The Falcons will scrimmage with each other at Keefe Courts on Thursday, and will have their banquet on Sunday, May at the Student Union. The banquet will begin at 4 p.m.