U. offers help on summer tuition

Besides smaller classes and more personal attention, the University is offering several other incentives to encourage students to enroll for summer classes. For instance, students wishing to take summer classes may be eligible for a $200 rebate on residence rooms. Also seniors who began as freshman at the University in the fall of 1998 or later and who plan to graduate in the summer of 2002 may qualify for a $300 tuition rebate.

Furthermore, the University will offer free career counseling and job search seminars in addition to special activities and events for students enrolled in the summer term.

The University wants students to enroll in the summer session for several reasons. One reason is to help students gradutate.

“We’re encouraging all departments to schedule classes during the summer in order to help students graduate on time or within a four year period,” said Judy Donald, director of Registration and Scheduling for the summer program.

There are some advantages to summer classes. According to biology professor Lee Rockett, who will be teaching Anatomy ‘ Physiology and Biology 101, lecture and lab are often coordinated better as a result of the smaller class sizes.

“The summer term offers an opportunity that students don’t get in the regular year,” Rockett said. “(Summer term) definitely makes a difference because students get more attention.”

“The campus is definitely quieter,” said Guy Zimmerman, associate professor of computer science. “The smaller ratio is nicer especially for CS classes because where we may have a general class of 54 students during the regular year, we can have 25 or less during the summer.”

Robert Berg, associate professor of romance languages, has worked at the University for 11 years and has taught during most of those summer terms.

“The number (of students) are obviously smaller making the ratios better,” Berg said. “Also the atmosphere is less intense and more relaxed.”

However, there are disadvantages with the summer term. For instance, the relaxed atmosphere of the summer term may cause students to be less concerned about the quality of their course work.

“Sometimes it is hard to get students to study and take their classes more seriously,” Berg said.

“I don’t necessarily feel that students are more dedicated during the summer terms,” Rockett said.” I have had good groups of students the entire year.”