All couples deserve to have equal rights

American society is built partly by tradition. Turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas, midnight on New Year’s and fireworks for the Fourth of July — each holiday has its own tradition. Similarly, many families have their own tradition; my family has a Christmas tradition of opening presents, eating, drunkenness and football.

America is full of traditions that can be slightly different, but are usually passed down from generation to generation. One of the traditions handed down through generations is the idea of gender roles and their place in society. Ideas about gender roles have brought revolutions to America, including the Women’s Liberation movement, which eventually gave women the power to vote.

Similarly, the Women’s Liberation movement later served to give African-Americans the courage to step up and demand equal rights for themselves. America has undergone many changes, including the Civil Rights and Women’s Liberation movements, but oddly enough, another group is being cast aside and oppressed. Homosexual rights — specifically the right to a publicly recognized marriage — are being disregarded.

Homosexuals are persecuted by the military, are occasionally prosecuted for making love, and are denied the sanctity of publicly recognized marriage. Gay marriage is not legally acknowledged anywhere in the United States. Their relationships are illegal in 23 states, seven of which single out acts between persons of the same sex. Homosexuals are looked down upon everywhere, not necessarily for what they do but for what they are. Women and minorities had a radical change many years ago, and now it’s time for another change; it’s time for equal rights for homosexuals, and the acknowledgement of same-sex marriages.

Homosexuals are denied things like medical benefits and life insurance for spouses because same-sex marriages aren’t allowed in U.S. This seems to be a very unjust situation, considering marriage is a basic right. Mixed and transsexual marriages are acknowledged, so why not let same-sex marriages be allowed? Mixed marriages and transsexual marriages have been given approval, yet same sex marriages haven’t.

So what exactly does an appropriate marriage consist of? Were the marriages of Elizabeth Taylor or Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham considered approved? What about the marriage of Charles and Diana? Adultery, abuse and violence in marriages are given the stamp of approval, yet same-sex marriages between two people who love each other aren’t. Maybe couples should take a marriage test before being allowed to marry. Is there an appropriate way to measure how much two people love each other, though?

Marriage is supposed to be a sanctity and union between two people who respect each other. It is a declaration of personal responsibility for another person. There is no reason to believe that the values and experiences of domestic life are any different for homosexual couples. Marriage offers structural support to heterosexual partners, and the denial of marriage to gay couples deprives them of this support. Denying this right to homosexuals is the oppression of a fundamental right — a right that should be available to any two citizens.

There is an argument that children raised by gay parents don’t grow up to be well-adjusted members of society; they grow up gay like their parents. Children do well in many different family forms though. The quality of the care they receive is more important than who cares for them. Contrary to what many people think, children aren’t hurt from having gay or lesbian parents. In fact, these kids are growing up seeing that their parents aren’t constrained by their gender. They’re living with people in society who make good, healthy decisions, and who deeply care about each other. Many families in America lack that much commitment. And commitment is what children need most.