Dads, sons join as brothers

Delta Sigma Phi, a new fraternity on campus, took an important step on Saturday toward building their future here at the University. That step was to initiate alumni.

The fraternity does not have alumni. Because of this, the brothers — with the permission of the National Level — decided to ask their own fathers to become the fraternity’s alumni.

Chad Nichols, Delta Sigma Phi president, said this has been a great opportunity for both the members of the fraternity and their fathers because now they have the chance to work together. His father, Doug Nichols, was one of the nine fathers initiated at the ceremony on Saturday.

“This is such a great opportunity for us fathers,” Doug Nichols said, “we can make a great connection with the guys.”

Doug said that it was an easy decision to become an alumnus to Delta Sigma Phi.

“I was talking to the other fathers who decided to become alumni, and this is sort of a second chance for us to get involved,” Doug said.

Fraternity member Jason Lutz said he was happy with the initiation and family dinner that followed.

“We were a little nervous because we put so much into these events,” Lutz said, “It was really nice to see everyone getting along.”

Brad Boyer, another Delta Sigma Phi member, was in charge of putting the ceremony together. He said he was happy with the parents’ reactions.

“Everyone bonded really well,” Boyer said, “we got the chance to see where all of our brothers come from.”

The fathers have full alumni membership opportunities, and they can put whatever amount of time into the fraternity that they choose, Doug said.

“We are encouraged to be as involved as possible, and this is a way that we can be involved with our children while they are away at college,” he said.

Joe Zwierlein, another member, said he is excited about his father being an alumnus.

“Personally, for me and my dad, it has helped our relationship on a personal level,” Zwierlein said.

The fraternity, which is working toward their charter, has 23 members. Chad said the group is lucky to already have a house.

He said the members are working hard to get their charter during the fall semester of 2003. There are many large and small tasks ahead of them, Chad said.

To become a chartered chapter, Nichols and his brothers will have to fill out an elaborate application. Activities the fraternity does account for different points toward their charter.

“What personally keeps me going — and I think my brothers feel this way too — is that in 20 years when we come back as alumni we can know we did this,” Chad Nichols said. “Seeing our names on the charter will be a great feeling.”

Zwierlein said that the brothers of Delta Sigma Phi are pushing themselves everyday to achieve their goals.

“We are keeping open-minded, and trying in every opportunity to make a good name for ourselves,” Zwierlein said, “and recruiting 24/7.”