Career Center acquires new online job link

Important Navigational Tips

*Use Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater

*You must use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view sample resumes or your uploaded resume

*You are allowed to make multiple selections from the drop down lists, to do so use the control key

*All fields with an * in front of them must be filled out

*Any data entry error appears in red once you hit the ‘Register’ button

*Make sure to ‘logoff’ after you finish each session

College students need money, so college students need jobs. The University’s Career Center has changed this semester to a new web system called WorkNet that will help students find jobs. WorkNet features a system where students can search for jobs as well as internships and cooperative education assignments. “WorkNet is a single source for on and off-campus employment, seasonal, summer, co-op, and after graduation jobs,” Director JoAnn Kroll said.

Kroll said that the University did away with the older system because the former company was acquired by experience.com, the vendor that created the current website in use.

Senior Ben Serio said that the new system is much better because the older system showed jobs only around Bowling Green and didn’t have job descriptions.

One major change from the old system to the new is the opportunity to apply for jobs posted by all schools that use the system said Michelle Simmons, Associate Director at the Career Center.

WorkNet is one of the largest career center online management systems and is used by 600 of the largest universities in the United States.

Kroll said she encourages all students to use the WorkNet system.

“Since it’s free I don’t know why students wouldn’t use it, and it is more powerful than we know,” Kroll said. “When we become more familiar with the system we will be able to open up new features.”

One feature, according to senior student Jody Gardner is that the system helps students know what is out there.

She has had several interviews because of the website, and said the site is very easy to use and navigate after creating a profile.

“The site has step by step menus and tells you which fields must be filled out,” Gardner said.

Simmons said that because the system is open for use 24 hours a day it can not be more flexible and convenient. She also said the login process takes about 15 minutes.

“WorkNet also allows employers to search for students to fill their jobs and internship vacancies,” Simmons said.

Kroll said she hopes in the near future freshmen students will sign up with the system when they first get to campus, not unlike their Bowling Green e-mail account.

“If the freshman could be hooked up to the system, then by the time they were seniors they would be very familiar with WorkNet,” Kroll said.

Serio said that freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors would benefit from using the system. He said internship and co-op information is helpful.

The Career Center also sends out e-mails to remind students about scheduled interviews.

Graduate student Lori McColl said the only problem she has found with the system is that the searches are restrictive.

Simmons said that searches for students must specify the kind of job they want, for example you must specify if you want an after graduation job, or an on-campus job.

Other than that Simmons said to search broadly so more jobs become available to you.

Users can however limit their searches to specific areas, like 100 miles from Bowling Green.

“I would highly recommend WorkNet to anyone because there are also internships and everything is on there and you can pick and choose,” Gardener said.