No change in security for Ludacris concert

No extra security has been added to help with crowd control for Saturday night’s Ludacris concert.

UAO has set up security comparable to the other concerts that the organization has sponsored.

“We will have the same amount of security as any other show. There is no increase in security,” said Joel Friemark, representative for UAO.

According to the UAO, there will be 10-15 university police officers on hand. Fifty people from the Tenable Security Company, as well as 70 volunteers, all prepared to handle the show’s crowd.

The Tenable Security guards will be stationed in the crowd. In the case of crowd trouble, Tenable will bring the offenders out of the crowd and to campus police officers.

Before entering Anderson Arena concert goers will also have to pass through metal detectors. Once again, though, this is the same policy as was taken at other UAO sposnsered concerts.

Campus police are not anticipating any problems with the Ludacris concert. Sgt. John Schumaker said that the total number of campus police on duty for a concert is not related to the act. “We go by the number of seats sold, not so much by whose is performing,” said Schumaker.

With the Homecoming game and many other campus events occuring on Saturday, campus police have been spread thin.

However, they still will have 10 officers at the event. To accomodate this, three officers from the sheriffs department have been contracted to be at the show.

Schumaker spoke with other universities that have had Ludacris come and perform. There were no negative responses from university officials following a Ludacris concert.

Schumaker noted that the University was right in selling concert tickets to only students at first. He believes that students who attend the University seem to be more respectful while at the concert.

One Ludacris concert at an Atlanta university did encounter problems. Schumaker believes this is because people outside that univeristy were able to attend the concert.

Another reason that UAO or campus police are not worried about crowd control is the seating arrangement for the concert. With every ticket having an assigned seat there should not be a rush to enter the arena. This creates less havoc and a safer environment for those attending the concert.

“Experience says there will be no problems. We have faith in the students. They know how to conduct themselves. Everyone involved is going to have a great time,” said Friemark.