U. showcases talented students

All over the world one can find different kinds of people, and it is no different here at the University.

Some students have unusual or impressive talents, and the Talent Show this weekend will showcase some of the talents our student body has to offer.

“I am very excited about the show. I was very impressed with the auditions,” said Heather Bishara, the managing coordinator for the Office of Campus Involvement.

The Talent Show, which has become a tradition for Parent’s Weekend, will take place Friday night from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. The event will be held in the Lenhart Grand Ball Room located in the Union. The Talent Show is a free event.

Bishara said that there will be a wide array of talents including a magician, pianist, dancer, juggler, and a few singer/song writers. The performers tried out for the Talent Show last week.

Kurt Foriska is a graduate student and an organizer of the Talent Show. He was present at the Talent Show try-outs.

“I’m glad I am not a judge because I wouldn’t be able to pick a winner, they are that good,” Foriska said.

One of the performers that tried out was Jim Finkelmeier. Finkelmeier will be performing a magic show for the audience. He has an act planned that includes a con-artist card game and an escape act.

“I will attempt to escape from chains and locks on stage, with two audience members on stage with me,” Finkelmeier said.

Finkelmeier said that he has been interested in magic since he received a magic set from his parents when he was eight-years old.

Another act in the Talent Show will be Lori Triplett. She will be performing a song that she has written herself.

Triplett started writing her own songs when she was in seventh grade. Currently Triplett is in a Christian band and sings at local places in her hometown.

The type of music Triplett creates are either love songs or contemporary Christian songs.

Bishara said that the show will also have a feature act that will perform while the judges choose the winners of the show.

The feature act will be Khary Jackson. He was the winner of the Talent Show last year. His talent is forensics. He encourages students to come and see the Talent Show.

“The Talent Show is fun because there is a nice variety of things to see,” Jackson said. “Quite literally there is anything that could get into the show.”

The performers as well as the event organizers are all excited to present the show to the University community.

“This is a way for people to come together and see the talent that Bowling Green has to offer,” Bishara said.

Ashley Boarts has been involved on the committee that organized the Talent Show. She said the committee had to organize the audition times and find judges and emcees.

“I got to be at the auditions and they were a lot of fun to watch. The audience is in for a real treat,” Boarts said.

The show will consist of the 10 to 12 acts performing with two emcees running the show. The emcees this year will be Sarah Helm and Matt Guggenbiller.

The emcees will announce the acts and also present the awards to the winning performers.

First place will receive a $100 gift certificate to the Stranahan Theater. Second place will receive a $50 gift certificate to Finders on Main Street. Finally, third place will receive a $25 gift certificate to a movie theater in Maumee.

The acts will be judged by a group of administrators, hall directors, and other campus leaders.

Bishara said that there have been 10 judges invited, but she is not sure how many will be able to attend.

Organizers of the event feel that this is a good opportunity for the University community.

“Most of the talent you see coming out of the University are in athletics, this is a perfect way to show off other talents,” said Brady Bourquin a member of the organizing committee.

The students involved in the Talent Show want to encourage people to come out to the show.

“I was in the Talent Show last year and there were a lot of talented people, you’d be surprised by how much talent there is at BG,” Triplett said.