Flanders more than a leader

When you ask women’s soccer players about who the leaders are on the team, Erika Flanders name is always one of the first on the list.

The senior goalkeeper, who is also the team’s only captain, holds, or has a share of, every university record for goalkeepers.

Coach Andy Richards said it is more than her outstanding playing ability that makes Flanders a leader.

“She has an inspiration about her,” Richards said. “She has a great work ethic and wants to be a leader. This year her leadership qualities have really come through, and she has the utmost respect of everyone on the team.”

Flanders said she accepts her role as a leader, something that was needed on a team with 11 freshman.

“I’m the only captain, and I know that some of the leadership falls on my shoulders” Flanders said. “The other older players and I know we need to be there for the freshmen.”

Freshmen Natalie Sampiller said that Flanders has been a big help to the younger players.

“She’s one of the best captains I have ever had on a team,” Sampiller said. “She knows when to joke around with us and she knows when to be furious with us. She lets us know when we are going to need to step it up.”

Of course, Flanders also leads by being one of the best goalkeepers in the Mid-American Conference.

“She has really been a good, solid goalkeeper who has really become a force in the conference,” Richards said. “All of the other coaches in the MAC know who she is and don’t like playing against her. She’s a great goalkeeper who is very well respected.”

Flanders is one of only six players on the BG roster not recruited by Richards, who was hired after Flanders first season in Bowling Green. Richards said he was impressed by Flanders even before seeing her play.

“I remember reading her stats and thinking that they were pretty good,” Richards said. “Then when we started working, I knew that was going to be one of the first huge plusses when I came to Bowling Green. I knew I was inheriting a program that was young and had troubles, but I also knew that I had a goalkeeper in the program who was very, very good.”

Flanders said she and Richards worked well with each other from the beginning.

“Our theories and philosophy on soccer were very much alike,” Richards said. “I think that’s one of the reason’s that we got along.”

In Richards’ first season as coach, the Falcons advanced all the way to the MAC championship game. Richards said that Flanders was a big reason why the season went so well.

“If Erika hadn’t been here, my first year would have been a real struggle,” Richards said. “I was extremely lucky that Erika was here.”

Having Flanders also allowed Richards to build his program the way he wanted it.

“If you have a good goalkeeper, that is huge,” Richards said.

“Having Erika allowed me to get going with the program from day one. “

The success in 2000 was followed by a season where the Falcons dealt with injuries and bad luck. The 2001 team failed to make the postseason, which gave Flanders motivation to get back in her last season.

“I was really relieved when last season was over,” Flanders said. “I was excited to get back this year, because I knew we had the chance to accomplish something.”

This season, the Falcons record is 5-3-1, and they are close to clinching a spot in the postseason. Richards attributed some of BG’s fast success to the determination shown by Flanders.

“She’s a very big part of it because she’s the last line of defense,” Richards said. “When Erika makes a big save, it inspires everyone around her.”

Flanders believes that the Falcons can contend in the MAC tournament, where the winner receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Flanders said making it to the tournament is a goal of hers.

“Getting to the NCAA tournament, that would be amazing,” Flanders said. “I think that if we make it through the first round of the [MAC] playoffs, we have every right to win it.”

An education major, Flanders said she would like to get into coaching when she gets out of college, as well as continuing to play.

“I would love to continue playing, and I want to be a great coach someday,” Flanders said. “The reason I am in education is that I want to coach.”

Richards said that Flanders would be good at coaching.

“I think she’ll be a great coach someday,” Richards said. “She has the intensity and the understanding and of course the love of the game.”

Richards said that Flanders’ impact on the team will be felt even after she’s gone.

“Erika’s name will live on, and her stats will live on,” Richards said. “In the next three years, people will remember her. Her influence will continue even after she’s left.”