Team effort leads BG

When women’s soccer coach Andy Richards was asked to give reasons why this year’s squad is so much better than last years team, he made sure that credit was given to the whole team.

The Falcons were in a situation last season where injuries had depleted the team and contributed to an overall 7-10-1 mark. They did not make the postseason.

This season, BG’s Mid-American Conference record is 6-3-1, and they have already qualified for the postseason.

Richards said that while the infusion of freshman talent has certainly helped the team, other factors should not be overlooked.

“Obviously the freshmen coming in and contributing is a big factor, we all can tell that,” Richards said. “But we also must not take credit away from the other kids who are stepping up their game. Our sophomore class is really stepping up their game collectively.”

Richards also gave credit to the teams’ upperclassmen, who he said have provided strong leadership all season.

“We have had fantastic leadership this season, and that is a big difference from last year too,” Richards said. “It’s another factor that’s allowed us to be strong and handle adversity.”

One of those leaders is Susan Wallace, who said that another reason for this year’s success is conditioning. She said that has helped them to avoid major injuries, which was a major factor in BG’s lack of success last year.

“Our team is fitter, and it has helped us this year,” Wallace said. “It’s prevented a lot of injuries like pulled muscles and injuries like that.”

Wallace also gave credit to the freshmen, as well as the ability of the new players and veterans to come together. Ten freshmen have started games this season, which Wallace said shows both their talent, and their ability to work well with the rest of the team.

“The freshmen who came in are all very good, and we all enjoy playing together,” Wallace said. “All of us work really well together and we are able to communicate. [The upperclassmen] are able to take care of things we know the freshmen may be having trouble with.”

The Falcons are currently in fourth place in the MAC standings. If the Falcons can win their final two MAC games this weekend, they have a chance to finish second. That would guarantee them a first round home game in the MAC tournament, the first time in the programs’ history that would happen.

Richards said the team will not stop playing hard just because they have clinched a postseason berth. If the Falcons win their games this weekend, they will set a team record for most wins in a regular season, as well as assuring themselves their first ever winning season.

“We are not going to take this weekend lightly,” Richards said. “If we can win these games, we can set a few new records. We can make sure that this team is a history-making team.”