Runners have one last meet before MAC

The harriers have one final opportunity to sharpen their skills and lower their times for the Mid-American Conference Championships in November. The opportunity comes this Saturday in Auburn, Alabama, where they compete in the Auburn Invitational.

Thirty teams will compete in both the men’s and the women’s races.

Head coach Cami Wells is excited for the opportunity to go down to Auburn and face some new competition.

“The Auburn meet will give us the opportunity to race against a lot of teams from other conferences and regions that we don’t normally have a chance to see during the year,” Wells said.

The only MAC school besides Bowling Green that will compete in the meet is Akron University. The majority of the schools that are entered in the meet are from the southern United States.

The men’s squad will have their work cut out for them this weekend as the already small squad will be further depleted due to injuries and other commitments. Phil King will not make the trip this weekend due to the stress fractures from a previous season that have been bothering him in recent weeks. Ed Stonestreet will also remain at home, as he continues to be bothered by a hip injury.

Neither injury is serious and both runners are expected to be ready to go when it comes time for the MAC Championships a little over two weeks from now. Having them sit out of this race is a precautionary step to ensure that they will be as close to one hundred percent as possible when the MAC Championships roll around.

Patrick Maynard will also not be able to compete this weekend because he has to stay home and attend a musical performance.

The absence of these three runners puts added pressure on the five harriers that will run in the race. Since the times of the top five runners on every team goes toward the team score, everyone needs to finish the race. If everyone does not finish the men will not be able to place in the meet.

On a more positive note for the men’s squad, three week front-runner Mario Rothmund, who was feeling a bit under the weather and failed to finish in the top five for the first time all season last week, is back healthy and ready to compete this weekend.

Men’s runner Troy Stiles is optimistic about the Auburn meet. “We have been having some pretty good workouts this weekend. Hopefully that will translate into some pretty fast times,” Stiles said.

On the women’s side, nine harriers will make the trip to Auburn to represent BG. Among these nine will be the squad’s number one runner in each of the last three meets, Amber Culp.

The women had a strong showing at the All-Ohio Championships last weekend, and will be looking to keep the positive momentum going into the MAC Championships.

The harriers should have ideal conditions to race in this weekend. The race time forecast is 70 degrees. Unlike the rigorous, hilly course from last weekend, the course in Auburn is known to be more runner friendly.

“We have never run on the Auburn course before, but it has historically been a fast course,” Wells said.

The men’s race is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. central time with the women’s race to follow at 9 a.m.