Softball to compete in Classic at Ohio State

Though their regular season is still months away, the 2003 Falcon softball team will get their first taste of competition at this weekend’s Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic in Columbus.

Held at Fred Beekman Park on the campus of Ohio State University, the two day tournament will feature nine Ohio based schools, with all proceeds benefiting the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research. Stefanie Spielman and her husband, former Buckeye and Cleveland Brown Chris Spielman established the fund and organize this annual event.

Coming off a 22-25-1 record last season, BG head coach Leigh Ross-Shaw is looking forward to the Charity Classic as a means of preparing her players for the 2003 campaign.

“This weekend’s tournament is a good opportunity for our team to get more experience out on the field. We really don’t expect for them to play flawless, but more importantly, to learn from any mistakes they may make.”

Coach Ross-Shaw also sees some benefits to the exhibition format of the tournament. “The fall season does not count on our record,” she said. “So now is the time to take some extra chances and see what happens.”

Joining the Falcons at the Charity Classic will be Cleveland State, Dayton, Kent State, Ohio University, Ohio State, Toledo, Wright State, and Youngstown State.

Host Ohio State, the only Big Ten team in the tournament, is sure to be a tough challenge, but Coach Ross-Shaw also singled out a couple MAC teams as being top notch opponents.

“Ohio University came off of a great spring season, and Kent always plays well against us, so they will both be strong also.” As for the Falcons, Coach Ross-Shaw had nothing but praise for this year’s squad.

“I have 19 kids on my team, and they are all key contributors. They are working so well together that they make each other stronger.”

The team has plenty of talented and experienced players to lead the way for them this season. There are four returning seniors with three letters to their credit, including shortstop Libby Voshell, pitcher McKenna Houle, and outfielders Kandice Machain and Crystal Wilson. Senior Liz Tuza is also expected to play a major role as an outfielder, second baseman, and designated hitter.

Coach Ross-Shaw says it may be a little early to start setting too many big goals, but certain objectives are always in place. “We are always going to strive for a MAC Championship and to move on to Regional Play. Right now, we are setting small goals each day to help us get to that point.”

The road to the MAC season starts this weekend, October 5-6, at Fred Beekman Park at Ohio State. Admission is a $5 donation, with all money going to the charity.