Unbeaten Falcons face Ball St.

It just doesn’t get any easier for the Bowling Green football team these days.

After a hard-fought, overtime thriller last Saturday night that featured over 1,000 total yards and 93 points in a 48-45 Falcon win, BG must try and re-group and re-focus for another stiff challenge, this time in the form of the Ball State University Cardinals.

Not that there’s not enough motivation for the Falcons. After moving up one spot in both national polls (now No. 22 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll and No. 24 in The Associated Press poll), and remaining one of eight unbeaten teams in the nation, the Falcons are on the verge of accomplishing big things this season. For now, the clear focus is on a deep, talented Ball State team (3-4, 2-1 MAC) who are the MAC West defending co-champions from 2001.

“They play-action very well, they threw five touchdowns passes last week,” Meyer said. “Those were because of the run, though. They won’t spread you out and throw it, read keys and all this. They’re going to try and make you come up and throw it over your head.”

BG quarterback Josh Harris and his offense continue to lead the nation in scoring, with Harris scoring 15.3 points per game, and accounting for 25.7 per game total. As a team, the Falcons average 49.3 points a contest. But, as has been the case throughout the first half of the season, Meyer and his players remain cautious about the Cardinals.

“I think he [BSU tailback Marcus Merriweather] has 800 yards rushing so far; they’re not playing around,” Meyer said. “He’s big, that’s why PJ Pope is appealing to me, he’s a 210-pound back. There’s a difference between a 180-pound guy hitting you and a 210-pound guy hitting you. They’re not going to trick you, they’re second in the league in possession time, and they’re going to run the football.”

Merriweather, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards a year ago, leads the Cardinal attack. Thus far this season, Merriweather has rushed for 837 yards and six touchdowns. Last week against Central Michigan, in a 42-17 BSU win, Merriweather rushed for 132 yards, but quarterback Andy Roesch outshined him, throwing for five touchdowns.

Ball State’s running attack may have an advantage running the football, much like Central Michigan and now Western held as well.

“We’re still working on that [our defensive formations],” Meyer said. “That injury thing I just read off is big. … You know, linebackers and safeties are an issue. TJ Carswell is banged up, as far as he will be able to play. … You have Michael Malone, TJ Carswell and Jerry Wagner, you have your safeties all hurt.” Kickoff from Doyt L. Perry Stadium is slated for 4 p.m. tomorrow.