Union Late Nite continues

Most people on campus know that the Bowen-Thompson Student Union is a place to eat, but few see it as a place to play inflatable twister, get a Henna tattoo or go to a psychedelic casino.

These are just a few of the activities planned for a series called Late Nite at the Union. These events have been introduced to campus this year.

All events are free to students and are held from 8 p.m. to midnight one Friday each month.

“These activities support the mission of a our Union, to provide programming and activities for the campus community,” said Valerie Faley, the Marketing Coordinator for the Union.

Late Nite at the Union is an idea that is used on many other campuses in the country.

Some other college Unions that have late night programming are Michigan State University, West Virginia University and Penn State University.

The Programming Coordinator, Rosa Hanco, helped plan the Late Nites.

Two Late Nites have taken place over the course of the semester; one on Aug. 24 and the other on Sept. 27.

According to Hanco, the first two did not have the attendance that she had hoped for, but also said that low attendance can be expected with any new program.

“It’s just a matter of building,” Hanco said. “We are trying to find the most efficient ways to advertise.”

This month there will be a special Late Nite held on Halloween. Information on this night has been withheld, because the coordinators at the Union are trying to keep it a surprise.

On Nov. 15 a Late Nite will be held that will include a Bungy-Cord Run and possibly a musical guest that is also to be announce.

Every Late Nite is paired with a movie shown in the theater. November’s movie will be Monster’s Ball with Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thorton.

Most Late Nite activities are held in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom, but some activities are planned outside, in front of the Union.

Some previews for Late Nites to come include laser tag and a psychedelic casino. The Late Nite with the casino will also have an oxygen bar.

The funds for the Late Nite events come from the Union’s yearly budget.

The price for each Late Nite depends on the activities planned. The Henna Tattoo artists cost $1,600 and each inflatable game costs between $1,500 and $2,000.

But there are also cheaper activities at every Late Nite. For example a karaoke machine only costs the Union $250 to rent.

“We try to stick with local companies because most of the cost is in travel and lodging,” Hanco said.

Overall the Union is optimistic about the Late Nite activities. Hanco and Faley realize that the Union is new and still unfamiliar to some students.

According to Faley, these kinds of activities are what will help make the Union the heart of campus.

“The building is new, but we just need to establish campus culture in the Union,” Faley said.