Women fall to Miami, Ball St.

On a weekend filled with rain and cool temperatures, the women’s soccer team suffered two defeats to MAC rivals.

BG was shutout by Miami Friday 3-0 in a steady downpour at Cochrane Field. On Sunday, BG fell to Ball State 2-1.

Miami got two goals from Danielle Berkmire in the game’s first 20 minutes to take a 2-0 lead. Meghan Shapiro added a goal in the second half as the first place Redhawks got the win.

“We just didn’t do enough against Miami over 90 minutes to have an impact,” Falcons’ coach Andy Richards said.

Yesterday, Bowling Green played one of its best games of the season, only to fall short against Ball State.

After Ball State scored a goal in the first half to take a 1-0 lead, the Falcons came out aggressively and dominated the second half. Kristy Coppes tied the game with her fifth goal of the season.

“We scored a wonderful goal,” Richards said. “That’s one of the best goals I have seen (Coppes) score at Bowling Green.”

Richards felt that Bowling Green had the momentum after the goal.

“When we got back to one each, I thought we were going to win the game,” Richards said. “We just need to develop a killer instinct.” After the goal, the Falcons continued to put pressure on Ball State, and had several shots on goal. But Ball State got a breakaway goal late in the second half to take the lead. While BG had several opportunities, they were unable to capitalize in the final minutes, and suffered their third straight loss. Richards said the loss should not take away from the superb effort shown by the Falcons. “I felt we played very well today,” Richards said. “I thought throughout the game that we showed a lot of composure and connected very well.”

One of the players that stood out in the loss was freshman Leah Eggleton, who, along with Julie Trundle, was credited with an assist on the Coppes goal. Richards was impressed with her aggressive play throughout the game.

“Leah Eggleton is an awesome player,” Richards said. “She is the complete package and does so much for our team. I am very happy to see her doing so well and getting the recognition she deserves.”

Richards also gave credit to the officials, who have gotten grief from BG fans in past home games.

“I thought we had some decent refereeing for the first time this season,” Richards said. “[The referees] kept the game going and made it a spectacle for everyone. It was a good game.”

The loss dropped BG to 3-4-1 on the season and 1-2 in conference play. But Richards believes the team is improving, and that it won’t be long before that translates into victories.

“It’s progress, it’s baby steps,” Richards said. “It’s going to come for us, and when it comes it’s happen it’s going to make all this effort and all of this struggle worthwhile.”

The Falcons will be off until Friday, when they travel to Akron for an evening game, then go to Kent State for a Sunday afternoon game.

“We go on the road and have two games where we have good opportunities to win,” Richards said. “We just have to put it together. I feel every MAC game is a winnable game.”