Aviary receives state funding

Over $7,000 has been released for improvements on the bird aviary and animal holding facility, housed in the Life Sciences Building, according to State Rep. Robert Latta.

The funding provided for the project by the State Controlling Board, however, is not a sign of easier budget times in Ohio.

ìThis is actually bond money,î said Allison Witt, aid for Rep. Latta. ìIt doesnít come from general revenue.î

A little known feature on campus, the aviary was an inherent part of the building when it was constructed in 1987.

ìIt was designed with the intent of housing birds should a researcher come along and want to work with birds,î Vern Bingman, psychology professor, said.

As it turns out, Bingman is that researcher. Besides a handful of graduate and undergraduate students, Bingman is the only professor in the psychology or biology departments that works specifically with birds.

ìThe reason why this is important for me is because my research is on homing pigeons,î Bingman said. ìIím interested, in particular, on how these homing pigeons succeed in performing their extraordinary navigational behavior.î

With amazing senses of direction, homing pigeons are able to learn how the environment changes as they travel in different directions.

ìThey literally have maps inside their brains, much like we do,î Bingman said. ìMy job is to figure out what those maps are like.î

Improvements to the aviary, including a roof, heated floor system and ventilation, will provide a home suitable for long-term housing.

ìThe goal is to make the space more bird-friendly for 365 day housing,î said Denise Hook, Director of the University Animal Facility. ìWe need to provide [the birds] with an environment that is more conducive for research animals as opposed to wild animals.î

According to Hook, the aviary was a designerís dream rather than an ideal space for research animals.

ìWhen the building was originally built, there were no pigeons here for research,î Hook said. ìIt was an architectís concept, not someone who works with animals.î

The improvements also plan to bring the aviary up to current federal codes.

ìAnimal care regulations have changed, so compared to 20 years ago, we are under much more federal scrutiny,î Bingman said. ìThere are many more federal regulations that have to be met.î

Complying with these codes is essential for Bingman and others who want to earn federal money to finance their research. ìIf Iím going to be able to compete for grants, I need a facility that meets the federal codes,î Bingman said.

Though most of the $71,000 budgeted for this project will be directed toward the aviary, a receiving area will also be created. According to Hook, this element is eagerly anticipated because there is currently no barrier separating the delivery area from the outside world. This allows outside creatures to find their way into the building, making it less hygienic for the animals.

While the aviary and animal holding facility may not have been built with the federal regulations of 2002 in mind, the University is looking toward the future with this project.

ìWhen the USDA takes over the regulation of rats, mice and birds, weíll be ready for them,î Hook said.