West Nile Epidemic?

I’m sitting in my room, trying to finish writing a paper. I have “writer’s road block,” so the room is very quite as I try to think of something else to write. All of a sudden I hear a familiar sound – a high-pitched buzz – and the craziness begins. I run out of my room to grab repellent. Soon everything smells like bug spray. My roommates are thinking I’ve lost my mind, but that’s okay. The West Nile Virus is spreading, and I can’t be bitten.

There’s no doubt about it. The virus is spreading, and I’m worried about being bitten. The first case of the virus in Wood County was reported last week. I wasn’t really surprised. The virus has been spreading since the beginning of summer; 737 people have contracted the disease this year alone. The virus has been reported in 41 states, including Washington D.C., as well as four provinces in Canada.

Bowling Green and the surrounding cities have been doing their part to slow the spread of the virus. The cities around here have been sprayed, and I haven’t been bitten all summer. The surrounding areas continue to do a great job keeping the air free from those pesky things. But I’m still worried.

This winter most of the mosquitoes will be gone. That isn’t a problem. I can face the harsh snowstorms and ice as long as I know the mosquitoes aren’t around. I am worried about next spring and summer though, when the little things come back to torment me. The virus has come back with increasing numbers every summer. That’s why I’m worried.

The first outbreak of the virus in North America was discovered in 1999. It first appeared in New York and stunned scientists since it had never been detected in North America. Since it’s first discovery, the disease has spread and more people have been infected each year. The biggest growth happened this year, with thirteen new states reporting infections. Everyone is getting the virus.

The virus was found earlier this season than before. Birds that had the disease last year were not found in Massachusetts until mid-July, seven weeks later than when they were found this year. This year, the first human case was diagnosed in Louisiana July 8. The first reported case last year was in mid-July. In 2000, the first case was found in late August. With numbers like these, the first outbreak of the virus next year might happen as early as June. That is why I’m worried.

It can infect anyone. Although elderly people and the very young have the highest risk of contracting the disease, young people are at risk too. There was a case reported in 2001 involving a 19-year old, and several cases of people in their middle-ages have been reported. Although the elderly and very young have the greatest chance of dying, I’m still worried. People have been getting the virus from organ transplants and possibly blood transfusions too. Four organs were used from a single donor who had the virus, and were transplanted into four people. The donor had been healthy when the organs were recovered. Later when three of the four recipients of the same donor developed the same illness, an investigation found that the donor had the virus. Should I be concerned?

Isn’t there anything to do about this problem? Researchers and scientists are doing their best, but we could be facing a nationwide epidemic as soon as Memorial Day weekend. In August 2001, the USDA granted a license to a company in Iowa to manufacture a vaccine for horses. Congratulations for the healthy horses. Hopefully in the near future, a vaccine will be found for humans as well.

Should this be a concern? I think so. Is there a solution to this problem? Not yet, but a vaccine for humans will probably be found soon. Until one is found, I’ll use repellent in the evenings and wear long sleeves. I’ll make sure I don’t leave standing water outside, and I can use a mosquito zapper to keep the pesky things away. If I am ever bitten and start feeling sick, I’ll go to the doctor as soon as I can.

I haven’t been bitten all summer, even though I’ve camped and hiked and fished all summer. I’m still worried, but Bowling Green isn’t the bayou, and the city has done a terrific job of spraying to stop them.

I’ll be okay as long as the surrounding areas spray and as long as I wear repellent. After all, there isn’t an epidemic yet. I just have to be careful.