Hewitt overcomes odds

Mitch Hewitt was a very well-known high school football player. He was the runner-up for Mr. Football as a senior at Chardon High School, and rushed for nearly 2,000 yards during that season in leading his team to the state title game.

And then he came to college.

Hewitt, once settled in at Bowling Green, found out exactly how much difference there is between being a high school star and a good collegiate player.

ìWe had a great team, a great tradition,î Hewitt said. ìThe transition was a struggle. It was a rude awakeneing, because you get here, and no matter how good you are in high school, youíre still not good enough to make an impact, especially at a position like linebacker. It took some time to get used to; you question yourself, you second-guess everything.î

Not only did Hewitt have to deal with adjusting to college life and college football, but a knee-injury in his third collegiate game sidelined him for the rest of the 2000 season, and limited him to special teams action last season.

Hewitt, while covering a punt, was blocked the wrong way and got his foot stuck in the turf at Templeís stadium.

ìWe were at Temple, and I think that stadium is the oldest stadium in Division I college football,î Hewitt said. ìIt was extremely painful. Itís not the way to go out.î

Hewitt ended up redshirting the rest of his freshman season, and began the rehabilitation process as soon as he could.

ìThe rehab process was a slow one. I think mentally, as much as physically, was challenging,î Hewitt said. ìItís hard because you know itís so competitive as it is here when youíre healthy, let alone when youíre injured. You have to make up for what you injured and try to gain at the same time.î

But here is Hewitt, healthy as ever in 2002, leading his team in tackles and fumble recoveries, and with two touchdowns. Hewitt has made numerous big plays in the Falconsí first three games, directly aiding in the Falconsí strong start. He, along with Chris Haneline, form a intimidating one-two combination in the middle of the Falconsí defense, a unit that wasnít supposed to be as tough as they have performed.

Hewitt, though, was unable to do the things he knew he could do last year, and was forced to play a limited role in the Falconsí 8-3 season.

ìI didnít have my speed last year, and any setback puts you in a hole,î Hewitt said. ìI contributed on special teams, but I wasnít where I wanted to be. … You know, anyone who is competitive wants to be out there as much as you can, doing as much as you can for the team. With how demanding coach Meyer is, it makes it that much harder. Physically, not where I was ó it was frustrating.

Knowing where I was before and where I was physically last year, it was very frustrating.î

Now, though, with the injury in the past, Hewitt looks at this seasonís team and his role therein positively. Many people projected the defense to be the question mark of the 2002 Falcons team, and Hewitt knows that they are no longer a question.

ìIím happy with where weíre at as a team right now, 3-0,î he said. ìThere was pressure on us, because it was our responsibility to give our offense chances to put points on the board. The defense is such a close unit; even when we were missing tackles and against the wall in Kansas, there was no finger-pointing or anything like that. Thereís no one person on the defense that ëdoes.í Itís a team.î

Hewitt said that he has learned much in the three years he has been here, from all areas of his game.

ìYou learn a lot about the game, technique-wise,î Hewitt said. ìThe main thing are the fundamentals. You learn so much through the coaches, you learn so much there. Watching tape is huge, but the fundamentals, like getting off blocks, reading plays, those are the things you learn right away here.

ìThe number one factor in any success at linebacker are the guys before you. I had great guys in here before me, like Khary Campbell, Garry Fisher. … I roomed wiith him on the road last year; he was tremendous. I love playing with Chris [Haneline]. I can ask him questions, and I feel so comfortable with him out there on the field.î

Hewitt also spoke of the differences in attitude from Gary Blackney, the Falconsí former coach during Hewittís freshman year, and second-year coach Urban Meyer.

ìItís like night and day from then to now here,î he said. ìNow, weíre expected to win, and there are rewards for doing what weíre supposed to and what is right. Physically, everythingís different. We reap what we sow.î