New stores bring interest to mall

Two new stores brought more shoppers, and a revived hope to the Woodland Mall.

The Woodland Mall, under local ownership since June, currently has suggestions from retailers to house such things as a coffee shop, tanning services, women’s fitness and a jewelry store.

“There are currently 2-3 proposals out for every space in the mall,” Beth Genson, Woodland Mall Manager said. Genson said “the interest is unbelievable” for local and national retailers to obtain space in the mall.

Professor Tinker’s Toys and Sears Appliance store, which have been in the mall since November, have been contributing factors to the mall’s revival plan.

Brian Young, owner of Professor Tinker’s Toys, said that “local investors is a key factor” to the success of the mall. Young said that the traffic lately has been the “best I’ve ever seen in the mall.”

The Sears Appliance store, owned by Tim Wilkins, anticipates its official grand opening this weekend.

“Business has been a little bit better than expected. As more and more folks find out we’re here, business should remain steady” Wilkins said.

Genson said that Young operates his store with “the whole persona of Professor Tinker, complete with a lab coat and an altered voice” to attract children to his shop.

“People are finding what they want, and we’re trying to make the store family friendly,” Young said.

In addition to adding new stores the mall has tried to provide “more fun things to do for the community” Genson said. School groups performed in the center court of the mall during the holiday season and nine Bowling Green students were hired to entertain shoppers.

“We had everything from students who dressed as clowns, to jesters and also had a piano player” who provided music for those eating in the food court Genson said.

The mall also started a student advisory board comprised of 20 Bowling Green students who are providing their opinions on “what they would like to see” Genson said. The mall is considering offering space to the Art Department for use as a gallery.

Now with local ownership, the Woodland Mall is experiencing major changes in a short amount of time in hopes to transform its presence in Bowling Green.