Is the American Dream a reality?

When you hear the phrase the “American Dream,” what’s the first thing that comes to mind? For many, it’s the idea that anyone in America can be successful and earn enough to support a family, have a house and a few cars. But is it really realistic to believe that every American has an equal opportunity to succeed? There are many poor people who would disagree that the American Dream can happen to anyone.

As a college student, I sort of live in a bubble and don’t see many things, simply because I don’t have to worry about a mortgage, car loans, a dog and three kids to feed. I don’t worry about whether I will have a safe place to sleep at night or where my next meal will come from. I worry about classes and papers and deadlines and finals instead. Not everyone is this lucky, though. We complain about dining services without realizing that some people wait hours in line for a single meal.

Some critics complain that the poor are poor because they want to be. They argue social programs cause people to become unmotivated, choosing not to seek employment as long as they are collecting money from the government. Critics also claim the poor are unwilling to take the low-wage jobs they are qualified for, where they could get experience and training that would increase their chances of getting a better job. This, however, is not the case. The unskilled labor force is making less and less, and what is the cause? The global economy. The assumption is that free trade increases productivity and must be good for the living standards of all Americans. The openness of the economy is believed to reduce tariffs while the tariff cuts reduce the price of domestic manufacturers. From there, manufacturing goods in the United States becomes less attractive than importing foreign goods. Businesses lose money here, and must cut costs. This means hiring fewer workers.

In 1993, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was passed. It gradually eliminates tariffs on goods shipped between Canada, Mexico and the United States. This makes it easier and cheaper for big manufacturers to ship their products throughout North America. American manufacturers see the doors for cheap labor are open for business in Mexico. As big businesses and factories head south of the border, unskilled laborers are losing their jobs here.

So is there a solution to this mess? Probably not, and the poor will continue to be poor while the rich become richer. Social programs have been designed to help the poor and homeless. Many programs, however, have lost funding, causing the poor to suffer. In August 1996, Clinton signed the Welfare Reform Act, which cut food stamps and imposed restrictions for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). This act also eliminated Supplemental Security Income and foodstamps for non-citizen legal immigrants. Policy makers have introduced welfare “reforms,” that include reducing cash benefits. States have lowered the importance of education and training, preferring “work first” strategies that rely on reductions or denial of benefits. These reductions are slowly supposed to eliminate welfare. These changes display the government’s lack of concern for its poor citizens.

Many European countries have assistance programs for the poor, regardless of whether or not they are in the labor force. And European countries have lower poverty rates than the United States. Similar programs would be useful in the United States. This means shifting the focus from reforming and eventually eliminating welfare to an emphasis on unemployment insurance coverage, paid medical and family leave, affordable housing, and universal health care coverage.

As I sit here in my “bubble,” I may not give this a second thought until I graduate, and worry about beginning a career. I’ve heard countless stories of students who have graduated from colleges around the country, and can’t find a job. I don’t want to be one of those students. So is the “American Dream,” really realistic? Or was it just a ploy to get people to move here years ago?