Director: Top works coming to U. Q’A

Q: What is in store for the future of the fine arts galleries?

A: The galleries have a glowing future in store, filled with exciting exhibitions, interesting artists and a wealth of opportunities to connect in meaningful ways with the campus and the community.

Q: What have been the highlights of this semester’s attractions?

A: “N-SPACE,” which was part of the New Music ‘ Art Festival, was a marvelous computer art show combining the latest techniques in color and sound as well as “This is not a Photograph,” which was filled with fantastic and mysterious visions created with light and shadow. Right now we are showing the annual Fine Arts Faculty and Staff Exhibition, which sizzles with an amazing variety of really impressive work which is always a highlight of the season.

Q: What do you feel will be some of the highlights or strong galleries for the upcoming semester?

A: Next semester will feature several exciting arts events. “The Contemporary Landscape,” which opens in January, will show paintings by several of the top artists in the country. Following that, the galleries will present an important series of student exhibitions that highlight the works of Fine Arts undergraduates as well as BFA and MFA candidates.

Q: How do you go about getting the exhibits to come to the University?

A: Exhibits come to the galleries in a number of ways: some are curated by faculty members and staff, some are traveling exhibitions that fit in well with our mission and goals, and some are proposed by state or community organizations. We also have a strong commitment to showing work by University Fine Arts students and faculty on an annual basis.

Q: Do the artists set up their own displays in the art galleries?

A: Student artists are responsible for setting up their displays in the galleries, as are faculty. Traveling, or group shows, are set up by the gallery and School of Art staff, which includes student employees. Often if there is a one or two person show or complicated installation, the artist will come to set up the exhibition.

Q: What is the criteria for a good show with the artists you have selected?

A: In general, a good show is one that is well thought out, that has a clear conception and a coherent body of work. The work should be carefully and appropriately displayed and informational labels and signs should be informative and easy to read. It’s pretty hard to generalize since each artist and each medium has individual qualities that should be respected. If we are able to bring in an artist or curator to talk about the show, it often enhances understanding and appreciation of what the artist is trying to do.

Q: How do you decide which exhibit gets which gallery?

A: Each of the galleries has qualities that make it more appropriate for a certain work. When a more intimate space is needed for smaller works or a one-person show, then the Willard Wankelman Gallery is a better location. If an exhibition has a large number of artists and very large-scale works, then the Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery is more appropriate. The Hiroko Nakamoto Gallery is limited to Japanese ceremonial arts demonstrations.

Q. What is the best part of your job?

A: I am really fortunate to have the opportunity to work with so many talented and creative people from the wonderfully supportive faculty here in the School of Art and the energetic and enthusiastic art students to the amazing visiting artists. It is a joy to be a part of the conception, organization and execution of each exhibition, and I am proud of the quality of our exhibition program.