Students asked to be energy efficient

With midterms and spring break on student’s minds few take time to think about the environment. However the University is working to educate the public on the importance of protecting the environment–an issue that concerns us all.

The University developed a forum about a year and half ago that’s goal is to maintain the campus’ environmental sustainability. This forum which consists of students, staff and faculty helps the University move forward in meeting its obligation to the Talloires Declaration.

The Talloires Declaration does everything from making students environmentally literate to having campus operations incorporate environmental sustainability into their actions. A primary objective is working with the local community.

The members of the forum report on what’s being done on the University’s campus to sustain the environment.

“In addition to this, we have our regular environmental monitoring of things such as environmental safety, for example: how the fume hoods are working in the laboratories and the emissions coming off the smokestacks,” Dr. Gary Silverman, of the environmental studies department said,

Last December, the Boards of Trustees approved a proposal which permits the University to carry out projects that will save energy expenditures. This could include everything from making more efficient lighting systems to installing more energy efficient air-conditioners.

“Essentially you’re using less energy,” Brian Benner, assistant vice president for administration said.

In the long run this leads to a reduction in overall costs. Silverman said, “We also have a big project in the works to put solar panels on the ice arena.”

The University’s recycling program, which currently recycles 22.5 to 30 percent of its trash is working to help the environment.

Craig Wittig, recycling coordinator for the University said the campus has had a formulized recycling program since 1986. It is now in the upper 50 percent for recycling in the country.

“Some Universities don’t even recycle yet,” Wittig said.

An interesting thing about the University’s recycling program said Benner is there is only one full time staff member in charge–the rest of the work is mainly performed by students.

“Recycling is a gateway to environmental sustainability-it’s the minimal thing people can do to become involved in environmental issues,” Wittig said.

The University recycles standard materials such as plastic, paper and aluminum, along with scrap metal and conserving wood into mulch.

Altogether the University recycles one thousand tons a year. This comes out to roughly 2 million pounds. Recycled compost from grass and leaves amounts to three to five tons of recycled material each year from BGSU.

Yet there are even more ways to recycle. Benner said that its better if people use washable coffee cups for instance, instead of throw-away cups.

Styrofoam and plastics take the longest to decompose so practices such as these conserve a great deal.

There are numerous changes an individual can make which will help the environment, Benner said. It can be as simple as turning off the lights when you leave a room.

Silverman suggested that people drive less, buy fuel efficient cars, use the recycling containers and turn the thermostat down. One major goal that the University has for next fall is to educate the public on environmental issues. University students have been participating in everything from river clean-ups to educating the community on the importance of caring for the environment. Dr Silverman said that students first need to get informed about the issues.

“Take the appropriate classes and or read about the issues. Be an active citizen and help make decisions that will affect the environment,” Silverman said.

For example, he said, how many students know that the world’s scientists are in agreement that global climate change is occurring and that the impact of this change will greatly affect everyone’s lives?

“The U.S. government is the only government not agreeing with this, although the U.S. scientists say that it’s clear,” Silverman said.

It was a major issue before Sept. 11 he said but it is now overshadowed by the war.

“Environmental change will be affecting everyone’s lives,” said Silverman. The increased rate of big storms Silverman said are a major, expensive consequence from our environmental behaviors. “Students should get involved because of a feeling of needing to be a member of society- and a helpful member of society.”

Silverman said. “If we are going to keep the world healthy- people need to step up.”