BG takes two over Buffalo

The BG baseball team opened up the Mid-American Conference season in impressive fashion over the weekend, sweeping a two game series against the visiting Buffalo Bulls.

Enjoying their first homestand of the season, the Falcons (2-0, 3-7 overall) came away with a 3-1 win on Saturday and a 15-4 rout yesterday. It was definitely a tale of two contrasting games, as Saturday’s quick paced pitchers’ duel was followed by yesterday’s slugfest.

“We finally got all three phases of the game put together,” head coach Danny Schmitz said. “The sticks had been kind of quiet since California. It was nice to see them wake up.”

Having lost five straight against first class competition on the West Coast, the Falcons were eager to return home and take their cuts against a more familiar foe. Yesterday nearly everyone contributed to the onslaught as BG racked up 15 runs on 14 hits.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, the Falcons broke a 2-2 tie when shortstop Bobby Majer came through with a two run double and third baseman Jimmy Lipari followed with an RBI single, making it 5-2.

Starting pitcher Tyler Saneholtz would be relieved in the fifth inning, but he kept Buffalo mostly in check, allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits. Sophomore Burke Badenhop (1-1) worked the next 2 2/3 innings, giving up just one unearned run and earning his first win of the year.

Badenhop benefited from the Falcons’ five run fifth inning, which was highlighted by senior Kelly Hunt’s second home-run of the season, a two run shot over the fence in right center. Hunt added a two run double in the seventh inning, capping off the afternoon’s scoring.

Along with Hunt’s four runs batted in, BG got major contributions from Majer (2-5, 4 RBI), Lipari (3-4, 3 RBI), Spencer Schmitz (2 RBI), and Jeff Warnock (2-4, 3 R). A sophomore left fielder, Warnock also made a spectacular diving catch in the fifth inning, racing far into foul territory to snag a pop fly.

The most spectacular part of Saturday’s game was not one specific play, but the overall performance of Falcon starting pitcher Kyle Knoblauch (1-1). Braving cold, blustery conditions, the junior right-hander continued his season long dominance on the mound.

In eight innings of work, he allowed just one unearned run while walking one and striking out five. With 21 innings under his belt in 2003, Knoblauch’s earned run average remains at 0.00. “It was another quality start,” Schmitz said. “Once we got him the lead, he started rolling.”

The Falcons had their problems against Bulls starter Tyler Balentine, trailing 1-0 after five innings. An unorthodox sixth inning rally gave BG a 2-1 edge. First, with two men on, right fielder Nolan Reimold beat out a fielder’s choice at home plate. Then on the following play, junior Nate Henschen was gunned down trying to steal second, allowing Kelly Hunt to race home for the go-ahead run.

Lead-off man David Barkholz provided the insurance run in the seventh inning, slamming his second home-run of the season. Barkholz had a huge game, going 3 for 3 with a walk and an outfield assist.

Closer Neil Schmitz shut the door in the ninth inning, securing Knoblauch’s first win and BG’s first victory of the MAC season.

“(This weekend) was just what the doctor ordered,” Schmitz said with a smile. “It’s a nice way to start the conference season.”

The Falcons will look to continue their winning ways later this week, as they host non-conference opponents Michigan State and Dayton on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. Both games will be at 2 p.m. at Steller Field.

Bats go Falcons’ way in first homestand of season

By Jayme Ramson

Bowling Green’s quiet bats woke up just in time, helping the Falcons post two wins over opening weekend.

The Falcons won Saturday, their first win since March 8, when they handed Penn a 23-7 drudging. After that win, the Falcons lost five straight in the Fresno, Calif. tournament. BG’s bats went quiet after that, managing five runs over five games while their opponents outscored them 28-5.

The Falcons scored three runs in one of those games, but still lost. Now, it seems that three is the Falcons’ lucky number. When scoring three runs or more, the Falcons have only one loss. The Falcons won their second straight game yesterday, posting a 15-4 win over the Bulls.

On Saturday, BG provided some previously hard to come by run support for pitcher Kyle Knoblauch. The pitcher has given up seven hits and no earned runs in 13 innings of work this season, coming into Saturday’s game. Yet, Knoblauch was 0-1 in those outings.

Knoblauch surrendered one run, unearned, in eight innings of work Saturday, scattering seven hits. The outing helped him maintain his staff-leading and league-leading 0.00 earned run average.

“Another quality start [for Knoblauch] today,” BG coach Danny Schmitz said after Saturday’s game. “Unfortunately, we haven’t been giving him a whole lot of run support, but I guess we finally got him three today and once we got him the lead it was his ball game after that.”

Knoblauch maintained his composure after the Bulls broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning. The Falcons made sure that Knoblauch wouldn’t go home with the loss, scoring two runs in the bottom of the sixth and one run in the bottom of the seventh.

“It feels great [to finally play at home]. This feels great to come out and get a ‘W’ too,” Schmitz said. “It’s been awhile. Both starting pitchers from each team pitched outstanding and David Barkholz really had a tremendous day offensively for us.”

It was Barkholz’s solo home run with two outs in the seventh, that gave the Falcons a comfortable two-run cushion. It was Barkholz’s second home run of the season.

Although the Falcons rebounded from their five-game skid, Schmitz expects that his team will improve even more, with six games this week.

After Saturday’s game Schmitz emphasized that his team still needs to swing the bats better. Yesterday, the Falcons responded, warming up the bats with 15 runs off 14 hits.