Softball drops two games to Detroit

Maybe home isn’t where the heart is.

The softball team dropped both games of a doubleheader against Detroit yesterday to fall to 1-3 at the BGSU Softball Field this season. The Falcons split a doubleheader against 14th ranked Michigan on Tuesday.

The Falcons saw their record drop to 9-14-1 overall, while the Titans improved to 14-7 by winning both games.

In the first game, it was Detroit pitcher Lindsay Roy who stole the show. Roy threw a four-hit complete game shutout to improve to 6-1 on the season.

Head coach Leigh Ross-Shaw said Roy’s off-spead pitches were what threw the Falcons off.

“Her pitches came in so high and then would cross over the plate, but our hitters couldn’t stay back,” Ross-Shaw said.

Amanda Bley paced the Titan offense, as she was involved in both of Detroit’s runs. Bley doubled to left to lead off the game and came around to score after a two-out single by catcher Katrina Klemp.

Bley knocked in the Titan’s second run in the seventh inning with a single to right that scored Nicole Taucher. Taucher had led off the inning with a single.

The Falcons had their best scoring opportunities in the fifth and sixth innings.

In the fifth, the Falcons had runners on first and second with two outs, but second baseman Marla Murphy grounded out to third to end the threat.

In the sixth, Lindsay Heimrich led off with a single. However, she was picked off on a great throw by Klemp. Naturally, Kandice Machain followed with a single that could have set up a great scoring opportunity for the Falcons. Shortstop Taucher made an outstanding diving stop to force Machain out at second on a ground ball hit by Libby Voshell. Gina Rango flied to center to end the inning.

Kristen Anderson pitched well for the Falcons, only giving up one earned run in pitching all seven innings. Unfortunately, she took the loss and dropped to 2-1 on the season.

In the second game, the Falcons were able to generate some offense early on. The Falcons had a 2-0 lead through four innings. Rango hit a two-out double and scored the first run for the Falcons in the third inning on an RBI single by Jenifer Kernahan.

In the fourth Crystal Wilson singled to lead off the inning and came around to score on a single by Machain.

After a Detroit run in the fifth, the Falcons extended their lead to 4-1 in the fifth. Rango scored again in the fifth after singling, as Kernahan also came in on a two-out, two-RBI single by Wilson.

However, the sixth inning proved to be the Falcons’ undoing, as a series of bloop hits and two walks led to four Detroit runs off of starting pitcher Jody Johnson. Liz Vrabel relieved Johnson and gave up the tying and go-ahead singles. Taucher knocked in the go-ahead run with a two-out single.

Ross-Shaw was frustrated by the number of bloop hits.

“I hate those kind of hits because there’s nothing you can do about it,” Ross-Shaw said. “It doesn’t mean you’re pitching bad at all, it’s just a lucky hit.”

The Falcons had a last gasp effort in the seventh, as Rango flied to the wall to start off the inning. Kernahan singled and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Candace Fenton.

Kernahan then advanced to third on a wild pitch by Lisa Ferguson. However, Wilson struck out swinging to end the game. Starting pitcher Kim Allemon got the win for the Titans, improving to 2-1 on the season. Ferguson got her first save of the season. Johnson took the loss for the Falcons, dropping to 1-4.

The Falcons will next be in action on Saturday, as they will travel to defending Mid-American Conference champion Central Michigan for a doubleheader.