$322,159.40: Fundraiser sets another record

During the final hour of Dance Marathon this weekend, one could pick out the dancers of the event, shuffling around, rubbing their feet and stretching as they reached the end of their 32-hour journey. An ending that resulted in $322,159.40 raised for the Children’s Miracle Network.

The finale of the event, which consisted of a line dance by all the morale captains and then the amount raised being shown to the crowd, ended emotionally for many of the participants of the event.

Jennifer Gilmore, family relations chair, said when the grand total was announced she felt some sadness because it was over, but that mostly she was very excited.

“When the numbers were revealed it brought out a lot of emotion,” Gilmore said. “We all put an entire year into this event and it went so smoothly.”

The morale captains hugged their dancers, cried and of all things danced as the grand total was revealed.

“It was total complete excitement,” Lindsay Wiemken, a moral captain said. “I wanted to see how much we would raise, so I could know how much would go toward the hospital and the families.”

The morale captains, who remained the entire 32 hours were in charge of encouraging their dancers. Wiemken said that although she was a moral captain the energy and support she got from her dancers was what got her through.

“There was not a hard part the entire 32 hours, because I was here with everyone,” Wiemken said. “Sure we were tired, but there was so much support it would be hard not to get through it.” David Humphrey, director of the event, said in the four years he has been involved in Dance Marathon he has never seen such motivated participants.

“I am so proud of everyone,” Humphrey said. “They stuck in it so strong, even with the current situation with the war they came out and were positive. They’re unbelievable people.”

Moral captain Jordan Ohler said that in the end it is all about the money that Dance Marathon raises, so the climax was the announcement of the grand total.

“Not only is there the feeling of accomplishment, but you also know that you benefited the life of someone else through charity and donation,” Ohler said.

During the event the dancers were able to attend a talent show, bands playing, karaoke, a fashion show and a casino among other activities to keep them entertained.

Tracy LaHote, marketing chair of the marathon, said that she along with the steering committee were present throughout the event.

“We aren’t moral captains but we were here to keep the dancers and everyone revved up,” LaHote said. “After the talent show it gets pretty quiet, but we did anything we could to keep the dancers entertained and excited.”

One dancer, April Schroeder from Omega Phi Alpha, said that although she was tired she had really enjoyed the event. “My favorite part was when we got full body massages,” Schroeder said.

Another Dancer, Nadia Davis from Delta Zeta said that she too had enjoyed the body massage and that she was glad she had participated in the marathon.

“I’m feeling pretty good,” Davis said with 30 minutes left to go. “I am ready to go home, order dinner and go to bed.”