Early-morning blues present obstacles

While some college students might have been out dancing at the clubs at 3a.m., others chose to participate in their own dance party at the Student Recreation Center. As the dancers for the 2003 Dance Marathon approached the half- way mark to this 32-hour event, most of them started to gain a second energy.

At this point a familiar tune started playing and people gathered in a large crowd, shoulder to shoulder. Being professionals at the line dance they had been practicing since 10 a.m. on Saturday, the excitement was still going as the dancers and moralers followed each of the steps and kept their spirits up.

Christopher Wilson, one of the morale captains, help lead the dancers in this synchronized routine and didn’t let his energy stop. “It’s great being up there because a lot of people are looking up to you for support and you are doing it for the kids,” Wilson said. “My job is to make everyone happy.”

“People are starting to get tired and it is our job to keep them going,” Wilson said. “That is what it is all about.”

Cassi Veres, one of the dancers, said that she was starting to feel a little discomfort, but that it was well worth it.

“I feel good knowing that my discomfort is helping these kids,” Veres said.

Katie Wietmarschen, another dancer agreed saying that when she was achy and tired she just thought of the kids and how most of them were worse off then she was and this kept her going, along with her friends coming to visit.

“It makes me feel like I’m doing something good,” she said. People may be getting tired but they are still having fun, said, Lindsey Schmidt, a moraler.

“My motivation comes from knowing that I do not have it that rough. It is much harder for the dancers and even harder for the kids,” Schmidt said.

Although the energy was going strong you could tell that people were getting tired by the bloodshot looks in their eyes and emotion of their voices.

Amy Mullican, a dancer for her second year in a row, said that she had started getting tired about four hours ago. “I’ve already cried three times,” Mullican said. “But I feel proud knowing I am making a difference in a child’s life.”

A few other dancers expressed the same emotions as Mullican.

Sarah Forney, a dancer for the Delta Zeta sorority, said “I’m sure I will cry when its all over and I will be proud of myself and everyone else because I will know that we all came together and cared about something bigger.”