Falcons set for Oakland series

Fresh off a convincing 9-3 win at Cleveland State on Wednesday, the Falcons baseball squad is gearing up for a long weekend series with Oakland University.

The two teams will play four games in two days, beginning with tomorrow’s doubleheader at BG’s Warren Steller Field. The first pitch of game one is set for 12 p.m., assuming the unpredictable April weather cooperates.

After Saturday’s twin bill, the series will shift to Rochester Hills, Michigan for a pair of Sunday games at OU Field, also beginning at 12 noon.

Oakland (12-9) represents yet another challenging non-conference foe for the Falcons, whose schedule has already included the likes of Tennessee, Penn, Fresno State, Dayton and Michigan State this season. Such high caliber opposition makes BG’s 6-11 overall record a bit deceiving, especially when one considers that the Falcons are still a favorite to win the Mid-American Conference West Division.

Having taken two from Buffalo and dropped three of four to Eastern Michigan, BG stands at 3-3 in the conference. If anything, the team’s tough non-conference schedule may prove beneficial in the long run, as the young roster learns how to compete against other established, winning programs (including Notre Dame, Wright State, and Ohio State still to come).

Of course, the Falcons’ new divisional rivals have been facing their share of quality outside opponents, as well. These teams will be targeting a BG group that is making its West Division debut after years dominating the East.

“The West Division is a tough division,” Coach Danny Schmitz said. “Any weekend, you better be ready to play, because if you aren’t, they’re going to hand it to you.”

For a little perspective, here is a look at how BG’s divisional challengers have fared in their own non-conference journeys, as the thick of the MAC season approaches.

BALL STATE (15-7, 3-1): There are high expectations in Muncie, as the Cardinals had a mostly successful winter road trip through Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Highlights included series sweeps of North Carolina A’T and Duke. BSU took three of four from Central Michigan to start their MAC schedule.

NORTHERN ILLINOIS (15-9, 3-1): The Huskies played in various tournaments throughout the South, with mixed results. However, they can boast a 3-0 record against the Big Ten, with wins over Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa. They took three of four from Toledo in MAC play.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN (8-14, 1-3): Venturing down to Florida, CMU did plenty of losing in the sun, though they did manage some quality wins over South Florida and Michigan State in tournament play.

WESTERN MICHIGAN(9-12, 3-1): Still yet to play a home game, the Broncos opened the year with eight straight losses against Mississippi, Arkansas, and Kansas. Since returning North, WMU has beaten Michigan, Illinois, and taken three of four from MAC school Marshall.

EASTERN MICHIGAN (7-12, 3-1): Before righting their ship against BG, the Eagles had struggled in non-conference action against Florida International, Kansas, Ohio State, and West Virginia.

TOLEDO (8-12, 1-3): The Rockets came away empty in their tournament appearance in Orlando, losing some close games to Central Florida, Georgetown, and Evansville. They also lost to Notre Dame in South Bend, where BG is heading next Tuesday. Clearly, the Falcons are not the only MAC squad suffering from the non-conference blues. With all games now safely above the Mason-Dixon line, however, BG and its foes will soon be able to focus their attention on one another– and determine how the West is won.