Plan of action in place for youngesters

Students looking to give their little siblings a taste of college night life might want to reconsider.

Students thinking about drinking with their younger siblings are taking a big risk. Letting an underage sibling drink could lead to some serious consequences for the student and the sibling. Underage drinking during Sibs N Kids weekend is nothing new to campus police. They understand the possibility of increased underage drinking during this weekend.

“We are not really giving it any special attention, but we are more aware of the possibility,” Weekley said.

Campus police will not be adding on more officers for nightly patrols this weekend. The patrol routes will be more specialized. “Officers will be in and out of the buildings and residents halls more this weekend,” Weekley said.

Campus officers will be on the lookout for signs of underage consumption. Weekley expects to respond to more phone calls from neighbors during this particular weekend because some students try to drink with their siblings in their dorm rooms. Campus police has a response to situations involving underage consumption.

Underage students that drink in front of their younger siblings face the same disciplinary actions as normal. If this is the case, the sibling’s parents will be notified. Officers will find someone capable of taking care of the sibling until the parents can come and pick them up.

“It really isn’t a good idea and a lot of common sense needs to be used,” Weekley said.

Letting an underage sibling drink brings consequences to all of those involved. Underage students will face the same consequences plus the possibility of supplying alcohol to a minor. If the younger sibling is intoxicated they will be placed in the juvenile detention center. Further actions would be taken through the juvenile justice center. Weekley stresses that students think about the possible consequences of their actions.

“The consequences far out weight the limited amount of fun you might have,” Lt. Weekley of BGSU campus police said.