Genocide is not the same as abortion

When I saw the signs proclaiming “Warning: Genocide Images Ahead,” I felt a little sick to my stomach, but ready to face what might be there. Some sort of message of racial equality, perhaps, a message not to repeat the atrocities of the past and not to let those going on in the world today continue. I was ready for images of Auschwitz and Nanking, Cambodia and Iraq, even the fate of the native Americans in our country. However, genocide was not the star of this show.

The display outside the Union depicting mutilated aborted fetuses alongside images of genocide was misleading and tasteless, not to mention ineffective. In trying to draw a parallel between the great tragedies of world history and abortion, not only are they putting themselves out of context, but also using genocide as a cheap selling point for their ideas. Abortion, whatever stance you take on it, is not genocide. Genocide is killing masses of people due to their ethnicity or religion. Most of the people on this campus are smart enough to know the difference.

My personal opinion of abortion is irrelevant. I am sickened by the tactics used by supporters of both sides of the issue. A parallel can be drawn between murder and abortion, perhaps, but it is not genocide. The tactic exhibited, turning the greatest crimes of humanity into playing cards for a petty game, is more disgusting than any picture they can put up on a billboard.

Rebecca Ehrick

STUDENT

Abortion is indeed a form of genocide

On Monday and yesterday a group displayed graphic photos of aborted children and other atrocities on the lawn in front of the Union.

One panel had three pictures. The first showed Jews being killed under Hitler’s Nazi rule, the second showed a black man being lynched (presumably in the South) and the third an aborted baby. The heading read: “Can You Connect the Dots?”

I stood silently as a few passers-by argued that there was no connection between the photos other than their shock value. They said, “There is no intellectual connection between these events.” Before I could answer them, they left.

Here is the connection: Hitler thought Jews were inferior, so he killed them. In the old South, whites thought blacks were inferior, so they killed them. Today, society thinks the unborn are inferior, so we kill them. Any questions?

It is not surprising that modern society thinks this way. Many “educated” people today do not even understand that they themselves were specially created in the image of Almighty God and as such are responsible to Him. God and His truths can easily be ignored but mere ignorance does not change the truth or your responsibility to your Creator.

Gary Nonnemacher

Department of Math/Stat

Many migrant workers aren’t appreciated

Are today’s migrant workers nothing more than tools used by the farmers to do their menial work? Do you think a unionized factory worker would condone this environment if they were the laborers?We are fast approaching the planting season where hundreds of migrant workers are used to do the hardest, dirtiest and least popular work in Northwest Ohio.

The migrant worker’s living and working conditions and the ignoring of their disparagement is unacceptable. As conscientious, human rights supporters it is important to question the status quo. My thought is we are bolstering a different kind of “new slave” of this century and we support it because no one wants change or confrontation. But does this make it right? Think about it the next time you are enjoying fresh fruit or vegetables from the grocery store or local market.

Violet Courtney

STUDENT

USG did fine job with peace resolution

I wish to compliment Undergraduate Student Government for the Peace Resolution which was approved Monday. I not only agree personally with the language USG used, I find it expresses a point of view that can obtain consensus. I am pleased USG took the time to bring together parties with different points of view, to negotiate compromise language while retaining the thrust of the draft document.

Consensus takes time and effort, but it also confers legitimacy and dignity. It is instructive (and disillusioning) to compare USG’s Peace Resolution and the process that USG followed with the Faculty Senate’s version and process. Anyone paying attention would conclude that the faculty clearly have something to learn from the students in this instance. I hope USG will continue to build upon its success.

Jim Evans

Department of Geology

Greeks need to unite in times of tragedy

Now is the time to show our strength. Our Greek Sisters of Alpha Gamma Delta have lost a part of their family in the recent Ohio State University tragedy, and it is our duty to reach out. When you joined your respective organizations, you also joined part of a larger group.

There are somewhere around 350,000 active members of Greek Organizations on over 800 college campuses in the United States. Quite a large support net, eh? Let our Greek Unity shine through, and show why we truly became brothers and sisters of Greek life.

Barrett W. Evans

Delta Sigma Phi