Kontak, Kaminski win election

Results of USG elections named Josh Kontak and Sara Kaminski the new president and vice president of the group.

The results were read Friday afternoon in front of the Union. Shouts and applause were heard as the names were read. Kaminski spoke before the crowd, praising her running mate. “I think that Josh Kontak has a contagious enthusiasm,” Kaminski said.

The results came as somewhat of a surprise to Kaminski. During the week, she tried to keep her confidence in check, despite being told by many friends that she and Kontak would win. “We just tried to campaign to as many people as possible,” Kaminski said.

Kontak was unable to attend the event. He was at an Indian reservation in Canada for a mandatory history class field trip. Kontak learned of the news a half hour after the announcement. He was unable to reach Kaminski, so he called the Campus Fact Line. They told him the good news.

“I was very excited, but frustrated I could not be there,” Kontak said.

Current USG president Sarah Saccany believes the pair will do well in their new positions.

“I think Josh and Sara will be an excellent president and vice president,” Saccany said.

Kontak and Kaminski hope to keep moving USG in the right direction. Kaminski complimented Saccany and vice president Kevin Yania on their work this year.

“I think that they took USG a step forward and Josh and I want to take it another step further,” Kaminski said.

Kontak’s duties will start soon. He will be inducted during the USG banquet next week.

Kontak will not see a break in his duties during the summer. He will meet with various campus administrators in preparation for the upcoming year.

Kontak plans to work on the promises he made during his campaign. The more important issues Kontak will tackle include campus safety, and the recent state-funding cuts. Kontak will also work to increase voter registration for students.

“I will work to make it so that USG serves as a sounding board for various student concerns,” Kontak said.

Approximately 1,600 students voted in this year’s election. This number doubled the amount of votes in last year’s election. The numbers represented a step in the right direction for the group that had seen over 2,500 votes during the 2001 elections, but under 1,000 votes in 2002. Increased voting tables and more student awareness helped increase voter turnout.

“We really went out to get the vote,” Yania said.

USG will once again debate the merits of a peace resolution weeks ago at tonight’s meeting. The resolution has been altered from its original form, and will likely be voted on at tonight’s meeting, in room 113 of Olscamp at 7:30 p.m.