U.S. fights wars to protect its citizens

After reading the article by Eoin Howe on April 10, I was insulted that someone can twist history so absurdly in order to fit their views. He names almost every country that the United States ever went to and claims that they sent troops only for economic interests. Let me explain, in the context of historical fact, how wrong he is.

In the beginning of the imperialistic age, the goal of colonizing and expanding territory was to increase the prestige and prosperity of our country. I know perfectly well that the native populations were decimated, but imagine the levels of killing had the French maintained the Louisiana Purchase. If not for our expansionism, few of us would exist today, and neither would our great country. Our foreign policy was dictated by our isolationist policy. We would stay out of European affairs as long as it did not affect our vital interests. Another document that dictated our foreign policy concerning the Americas was the Monroe doctrine created in 1832. This basically said we would protect the Western Hemisphere from the hands of Europe.

The situation in China was a series of episodes that involved all foreign superpowers. It included Britain, Germany, and, in a smaller role, the United States and the Boxer Rebellion, which is probably one of the most futile insurrections of all time. The leaders of this rebellion practiced boxing and calisthenic rituals that they believed would make them impervious to bullets. How much worse off would China be if those people were still the leaders over there … oh wait, they still are. They are called communists.

A major reason for many of our latter wars was one major factor. It’s not business, it’s Communism. It was Kennan’s policy of containment that stated the need to block communist imperialism. South Korea was a country surrounded by communists. Let’s compare South Korea to North Korea now. South Korea has a good economy and North Korea has none. South Korean citizens have rights and live to make their own choices. What the United States did was for the betterment of people in South Korea.

Next, to say that the Vietnam War was for economic interests is absurd. How can anyone even think that we went to Vietnam because “big business” wanted us to? I will only mention a previously used term: Communism.

Mr. Howe mentions Afghanistan as a country the United States recently took action against. The reason for invading Afghanistan was for the survival of our country.

Survival involves the protection of its citizens against an enemy whose only goal is to kill Americans. Almost the entire world accepted our actions and did not oppose our assault. Finally, I will speak on Iraq. Mr. Howe mentions that the war is not only about oil, but also about water. Apparently we are in Iraq for water.

Mr. Howe, I respect your right to freedom of speech. Our forefathers died to preserve our inalienable rights. The United Nations has put forth so many human rights resolutions on Iraq that they have lost track.

Why people constantly blame the United States for everything is a big question. No one ever mentions what the other side was doing, or mentions our allies who took part in our international policies. Could someone please tell me why every bad thing that has ever happened is blamed on the United States?