Local gas station site for fraud case

In light of a recent credit card scam involving phone calls to a local Clark station, people should take caution when using a credit card to pay for purchases and be aware of the availability of their information to others, Detective Scott Kleiber said.

In March, an employee of the Clark gas station, located on South Main Street, mistakenly gave out several customers’ information over the phone to a man who identified himself as Clark corporate personnel.

According to the police report, a male would call up the Clark station using the name “Mark” and pose as an individual from the Clark corporate office. He told the Clark employee that he was unable to process certain credit card numbers and social security numbers due to computer errors. He then asked the employee to read him the information over the phone so he could process the data.

The employees gave this information to “Mark,” thinking that it was for their corporate office.

The suspects went to a Western Union and wire $300 to their associates, each time this scam occurred. Over the month, of March these individuals stole $1000.

The investigation is being headed up by Scott Kleiber, detective patrolman for the Bowling Green Police Division.

The Bowling Green Police Department received several similar complaints by credit card holders having miscellaneous charges on their monthly statements, all involving Western Union and for the same $300 amount, Kleiber said. These transactions all happened within the same span of time, Kleiber said, acknowledging this is in fact credit card fraud. Several suspects are currently under investigation.

The Clark station would not comment on the incident, however, Kleiber said that there does not seem to be any direct connection between the employees who gave out the information and the suspects.

It is more than likely that there were at lease four people involved with the scam, possibly two males and two females, Kleiber said.

The criminals are liable for up to one year or more in jail and/or $5,000 or more in fines if convicted.

It is valuable for people to know that these incidences occur and should take caution when using credit cards or any source that would allow someone to obtain personal information, Kleiber said.

If something like this does occur, it is wise to contact the credit card companies right away, said Kleiber.

“Criminals see this as only affecting credit card companies and not the individuals,” Kleiber said. “However, an incident such as this can directly affect and individuals credit when they go to by something, such a house or car.”