Track competes in Ind.

The Bowling Green track and field team has one last chance to build momentum before the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships on May 15.

That chance comes today when they travel to Indianapolis, Ind. to compete in the Butler Twi-Light. Head coach Scott Sehmann sees this meet as important to the team’s confidence going into the MAC meet.

“A lot of times it will set the tone for your mental outlook going into the conference meet, so we certainly would like to have a little more of a positive outcome this weekend,” Sehmann said.

Sehmann is still looking for people to fill spots on the conference squad. For the athletes that are looking to step up and take these spots, this is an especially important meet for them.

“Certainly for those that are trying to gain a spot they need to perform well and show a competitive effort in order to gain that opportunity to go to MAC,” Sehmann said. “Right now there are probably a half-dozen spots that we are trying to solidify and certainly, with a little better effort by some of our folks, I certainly think that will help us as a team.”

Sehmann is hoping to put together a squad for the MAC championships that combines experienced upperclassmen with some freshmen athletes.

“I would certainly like to reward those that have put forth three or four years worth of training for the team, but also give first-year people a chance to experience conference and kind of see what it takes to be competitive at that level,” Sehmann said.

This weekend’s meet gives the Falcons a chance to go up against a wide variety of competition. There will be athletes from over 50 schools competing along with a number of athletes competing independently.

Coach Sehmann will be taking a full squad down to Indianapolis this weekend. Twenty-eight Falcons will make the trip and compete in the Butler Twi-Light. Despite a few bumps and bruises caused by the wear and tear of the five- month season, the squad is healthy and ready to compete this weekend.

Thus far, the Falcons have two members of their squad with guaranteed spots in the regional championships at the end of the month. Amber Culp locked up her spot in the steeplechase earlier in the season, and Alicia Taylor qualified in the 100-meter hurdles in mid-April.

Other Falcons that have had strong showings during the outdoor season include Kerri McClung, who started the season with two first-place finishes in the shotput and has finished near the top in every meet this season. Mary Willems has enjoyed success in the weight throw, making it into the top 25 in the nation in that event.

The Butler Twi-Light is a two- day meet that begins today at 3 p.m. and concludes tomorrow.