Meet the new BG News editors-in-chief

The Board of Student Publications has chosen Kara Hull and Michael Ksenyak as editors-in-chief of The BG News for fall and summer semesters, respectively.

Hull, a rising junior, became a reporter for The BG News the first week she arrived at the University as a freshman in August 2001. After spending a year as a reporter, she spent another as campus news editor. Becoming editor-in-chief has long been a goal of hers.

“I knew I wanted to do it eventually,” she said.

Hull’s experience in journalism started early, having spent four years filling various roles on her high school newspaper, Smoke Signals, in Cincinnati.

“I had almost any position you could have on a high school paper,” she said.

Though she has filled a variety of jobs at The BG News, she says writing is what she enjoys most.

“Pretty much all my hobbies deal with writing,” she said.

Aside from her experience at The BG News, she is a freelance writer for ENCOUNTER, a Christian magazine for teen-agers. She will also serve a reporting internship at the Tiffin Advertiser-Tribune this summer. In addition, she has taken photos for Miscellany Magazine, a part of Student Publications.

Her goals for The BG News include increased coverage of University governing bodies, more sports features and expanding the role of the paper’s Web site, www.bgnews.com. She is a member of the Honors Program and CRU. She also serves as publicity director for the Association for Women in Communication. Ksenyak, a senior set to graduate in August, has spent two years as a reporter for The BG News. Now he will oversee the producation of The BG News, which is published weekly in the summer.

Originally, Ksenyak was set to be co-editor alongside Patricia Rengifo, currently city news editor for The BG News. When Rengifo found a summer internship, Ksenyak realized he’d have to tackle the job himself.

“It was scary at first,” Ksenyak said. “But I’m getting used to [the idea].”

The first summer issue of The BG News will be printed May 21.