U. closely watching orange level alerts

As orange level alerts go up due to an increased risk of terrorist attacks, University students are weary. However, they are not buying duct tape and plastic as many United States citizens have done in preparation for a possible attack.

The orange level alert is for general awareness and no specific targets have been identified. However since the alert, a segment dedicated to updates has been posted on the University’s home page.

According to the University’s home page response protocols for the campus community are in place and are adjusted to match the level of the situation.

If the threat condition is elevated to level red, the University in collaboration with the Wood County Emergency Management Agency, will immediately assess the situation and make decisions regarding the appropriate University response.

Since the alert United States citizens have responded by stocking up on duct tape, bottled water and plastics. They believe these materials will help them if a terrorist attack occurs.

Kelly Fink, University student said many American citizens are over reacting with the purchases of plastic and duct tape.

“If a nuclear attack really happens, that’s not going to help anything. It’s like ducking under your desk in the 40’s or 50’s,” Fink said.

Other students feel that the new alerts have less to do with terrorist attacks and more to do with the President’s approval ratings.

Alex Martin, University student said that he thinks the orange alert level is being put up in order to cover the government’s fears if a terrorist attack were to occur.

“The President and his gnomes are trying to make themselves look better by frightening the American people and causing them to look for support and leadership,” Martin said. Martin feels that the President is initiating alerts in order to boost his PR rating.

“His PR rating will go up if the people think he did something to thwart more terrorist attacks after raising the alert level,” Martin said.

Fink said the orange level alert was inevitable and it should have been on high since the Gulf War.

John Puro, University student, also fears possible terrorist attacks, yet doesn’t see a need to go out and buy duct tape and plastic.

The orange level alert is something very scary Puro said, however it might not ever happen. This might just be a big over reaction to what’s going on in the world he said.

“I think they are being ridiculous about it telling us to stock up on duct-tape and plastic. What is that really going to do?” Puro said.

Puro felt that the idea of purchasing duct-tape to protect oneself during a terrorist attack was pointless.

Puro said, “Duct tape may be able to fix everything, but it won’t be able to help prevent nuclear fallout.”