Dakich loses temper, BG loses game, 94-73 to BSU

MUNCIE, Ind. — Dan Dakich is fed up. Not with the way his team — down to just six scholarship players, two football players and a walk-on — is playing.

The Falcons fought for 40 minutes last night at Ball State’s Worthen Arena, but were outmanned by the Cardinals and outgunned by BSU’s Chris Williams in a 94-73 loss.

The Falcon coach is fed up with referees.

Dakich was ejected with 1:36 remaining in the first half after receiving two technicals for arguing a call that went against Kevin Netter. But what upset Dakich was not so much the call. It was something else.

“I’m fed up,” he said after the game. “A couple weeks ago we have a guy dunk the ball and a travel is called. That’s fine, it was probably a good call — then the referee starts laughing at me. A couple minutes to go in a game, a guy jumps on our back the referee’s smirking. I’ve just had enough of guys laughing at me. Every game I get this, and I’ve had enough. You’re going to make a call against us, you’re going to give me a technical, fine. Just don’t laugh at me.”

The loss dropped the Falcons to 10-14 overall and 6-9 in the Mid-American Conference. Ball State improves to 13-13 overall and 8-7 in the MAC.

Frustration set in for the Falcons early after both Cory Ryan and Cory Eyink had two personal fouls with 16:11 left in the half. From that point on, the Falcons played an extended 3-2 zone for the first time in a long time, which worked well for a major portion of the half.

After Netter picked up his second foul with 9:44 left in the half, the Falcons went on a mini-run to cut the lead to four after Eyink hit two free throws with 5:46 left in the half.

Then Williams took over. He hit four threes on the Cardinals’ next five possessions to extend his team’s lead to 16 with 3:39 left in the half.

“I couldn’t get to the basket against their zone, so I decided to take rhythm shots,” Williams said. “If I’m open and I’m feeling it, I’m going to take the shots, and let the game come to me.”

Cue the fireworks.

In the final three minutes of the half, Netter, Eyink and Ryan each picked up their third foul. After John Reimold was whistled for another BG foul, Dakich was livid.

He received his first technical, and as the Cardinals’ Michael Bennett stepped to the line, he got his second and headed to the locker room. Assistant coach Artie Pepelea took the helm for the remainder of the game.

After Williams hit the two technical free throws, and Bennett hit his shots, the Cards led by 21 and led by 19 at the half.

“The difference in the game was Chris Williams,” Dakich said. “We didn’t find him in the zone. I thought the zone was working well, and we kept it close, but he shot well. I’m looking at 28 or 29 percent shooting from three [for Ball State], and with the foul trouble, we tried to protect some guys.”

The Cardinals extended the lead to 28 midway through the second half, but Ron Lewis scored six straight to cut the lead to 22. The hosts then went on a 15-4 run to extend their lead to 30, and officially put the game away.

Lewis scored a career-high 29 for the Falcons, including a Worthen Arena record 16 free throws in the loss. Ryan had 13, while Netter scored 11 for the Falcons. Raheem Moss and Reimold combined to shoot 2-20 from the field.

Williams needed only 10 shots to score 25 points, as he shot 6-8 from behind the arc. Rob Owens had 20 and grabbed 12 rebounds. Cameron Echols and Matt McCollom scored 13 apiece, and Kyle Cox scored 10.