Track team returns home

The women’s indoor track and field team has spent more time away from home than Willie Nelson the past few weeks.

The Falcons will finally return to their nest this Saturday to host the BGSU Women’s Open Invitational.

The Falcons are coming off several strong individual performances at the Ohio State Invitational on Saturday.

Among the standouts for the Falcons were Melissa Krueger and Rachel Perme.

Krueger finished first in the 1000-meter run.

Head coach Scott Sehman believes a lot of Krueger’s success can be traced to an increase in confidence.

“Her confidence level is very high and when you believe things are possible the sky is the limit,” Sehman said.

Rachel Perme finished fourth in the high jump. It was an impressive performance considering it was Perme’s first meet in nearly a year. Perme is looking forward to the meet this Saturday to see more improvement in her performance.

“I want to focus on improving my technique in practice,” Perme said. “If I do that I think I will improve from this past weekend. I haven’t done too many jumps in practice yet this season, so jumping feels a bit foreign to me still.”

The meet will once again be an open, non-scored meet like the Ohio State Invitational was. Sehman is looking forward to using this meet as a springboard to better things later in the season.

“This (the non-scored format) will once again allow us to experiment with our personnel on the track and in some of the field events,” Sehman said. “We also can work our athletes in practice harder as we look forward to the All-Ohio Championships meet in two weeks.”

Kerri McClung finished in sixth place in the shot put on Saturday in the Ohio State Invitational. McClung is looking forward to finally competing at home for once.

“We’ve had three very competitive meets in three weeks, and we’ve been on the road for the last two,” McClung said. “This home meet will allow us to compete in our own Field House where we have been practicing for the last three months. Smaller meets allow us to train hard all week and prepare for the bigger meets at the end of the season.”

The BGSU Women’s Open will take place at noon at Perry Field House this Saturday.