Burke to speak on equality

Tonight Dr. Martha Burk will speak on her views regarding Title IX and other controversial issues regarding women’s rights. She plans to also address the letter she wrote to William Johnson, chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, a club where women are not allowed to be members.

The speech will take place in 101 Olscamp at 9:15 p.m. The presentation is free to the public.

Burk, a political psychologist, is the co-founder and president of the Center for Advancement of Public Policy. She is also currently serving as chair of the National Council of Women’s Organizations. NCWO contains a network of over 160 national women’s groups representing seven million women.

Born in 1941, Burk said she recalls many advances toward women’s equality. She said she remembers when it was legal for employees to tell women they didn’t hire females or that they would hire women but pay them less than they would pay men.

Burk said that although many steps have been taken toward equality there is much more to be done.

“There is a misconception in society that we really don’t have much to do to achieve parity between men and women,” Burk said. “I believe that is incorrect. I think most people would be shocked if they realized how much ground women are losing.”

When asked about the Augusta golf club issue Burk said it is not about golf at all, but instead about power.

“Even in the 21st century large corporations think they can engage in activities that blatantly discriminate against women and think they can get away with it,” Burk said. “There is something wrong with this kind of cultural climate.”

Burk said her goals for the future include social, political and economic equality for women. Over the years Burk said that women’s rights are not becoming stronger, but instead since in the past 20 years, women’s rights have been neglected.

“I’ve seen a lot of change, but that is the good news. The bad news is that many of those changes are under attack once again,” Burk said.

Twelve groups on campus have joined to sponsor this event and one of the event coordinators Kevin Konecny of Resident’s Life and Greek Affairs. Konecny said that Burk’s speech will bring up issues that may normally be avoided.

“It all goes back to the average person that might not stop to reflect on issues of women’s equality including Title IX,” Konecny said. “Title IX is a current event so we believe Dr. Burk’s speech will help tie it [the issues] with the interest on campus.”

Burk said she encourages people to come to her speech tonight. “I think it is time for a national dialogue on where we are at as a society and where we want to go for both women and men in the 21st century.”