Volunteers gain experience

University students who volunteer aren’t just improving their resumes, they’re helping others as they continue to learn about themselves and their capabilities.

Nichole Croskey, University student, volunteered for the Safety City program in her hometown for four years. Safety City promotes a child’s safety by teaching them such things as traffic and fire safety.

“I felt as if I was making a difference in a child’s life. It is nice to know that I could have saved a kid from doing something dangerous like getting in a stranger’s car or playing with matches.”

Ann Novak, a student who volunteers for the Salvation Army said, “Everybody should volunteer at least once,” Everyone needs to see that not everyone is as fortunate-especially college students.”

Novak participated in the Warren Juniorettes from her eighth grade year to her senior year in high school. She worked for the Ronald McDonald House and volunteered at food drives and highway clean ups. She currently works for the Salvation army in Niles, Ohio where she does gift wrapping at the mall during major holidays.

Novak said a great deal of salvation army money goes towards shelters. She feels that it’s better to give food and clothing because it helps people get back on their feet.

“Many people think that people who need help are lazy. People really do want to change, and are willing to work towards it, they just need a little assistance,” Novak said.

Croskey said, “I hope that someday my children too will feel that it is beneficial to help their fellow humans. Not only will they learn something from it, but the people they help will surely be grateful.”

Working with children, Croskey said made her develop a passion for teaching . It allowed her to see firsthand how it makes a difference in a child’s life by encouraging them to participate in classroom activities.

“I found it to be no easy task but I am up for the challenge,” Croskey said.

Pamela Little who plans on teaching music also worked for Safety City and she has benefited from volunteering. Little currently tutors a home schooled boy 2 days a week on different activities pertaining to math, spelling and music theory.

“I love helping so much!” Little said.

“Everything we do is a memory that will stick with me even when I become a teacher myself. The most rewarding moments for me is just the look in the child’s eyes when they truly understand what you are saying and are as proud of themselves as you are.”

Ann Novak reflected on her memories of volunteering for the Warren Junioreettes. She once had to plant a huge pine tree and a local paper wrote a story on the group’s project. The paper published a picture of her digging a hole for the tree as the guys in her group were all standing around taking a break.

“It was pretty funny,” Novak said.

Croskey said she remembered one year that she and another student taught two young boys who used to compete for their attention.

“It made me feel as if I were doing something good for them. They thought so highly of us that they even had little crushes on us. It was so great to know that even the little kids appreciated your being there for them,” Croskey said.

Little said, “The importance of volunteering on today’s young people helps lead them in the right direction when sometimes the role models they need aren’t there. It teaches them things that perhaps they couldn’t learn elsewhere on their own.” Volunteering has also taught Little a great deal. She said that volunteering has helped her immensely and it is what she plans to do for the rest of her life.

“The volunteer work gives me an early start at it. It provides me with an attitude that ‘teaching can be fun’.” Little said.

Little also said that volunteering improves her educational experience because she learns along with the child.

“It helps me become a more educated person in the sense that I’m learning new techniques and actually helping somebody learn creates a feeling that is so wonderful that it gives such a positive outlook,” Little said

Little said, “Knowing that you are helping somebody learn is wonderful. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but in the end it’s all worth it.”