Ohio Rep. backs new bill

A new bill pending in Ohio has the potential to improve protection for abused and neglected animals. Representative Tim Grendell recently spoke about this issue.

Grendell, of Geauga County, was the main sponsor of bill 480. It is new animal anti-cruelty bill which considers some animal abuse crimes felonies.

Grendell is serving his second term in office and among many things he said is a dog and cat owner.

“I feel good that Ohio took a step that is a long overdue-a step to a more civilized society,” Grendel said

Wood County was once the fourth lowest in the state for fighting animal abuse and is now in the top quarter for companion animals. Ohio had now joined 36 other states in passing this bill.

JoAnn Miller, a volunteer for the Human society said, “I think the bill is long overdue and I fully support it.”

Although Grendells speech dealt with serious issues regarding animal abuse, he managed to provide humor at certain moments.

During his speech Grendell said, “It’s great to have this many folks listen to me -instead of at home watching Joe Millionaire.”

He commended the Human Society for using their resources well.

“You get the quality of a civilization by how they treat their animals.”

Grendell discussed his journey into politics briefly. His wife had previously been in office before him. He said his wife worked on the animal cruelty bill but it went nowhere and he had promised her he’d pass it.

Animal rights has always been a part of Grendell’s life. He and his wife are proud owners of Smokey, an abused cat that the couple rescued.

“The first person that jumps in bed with me isn’t my wife- it’s the cat,” Grendell said.

Grendell said that the bill got through the senate quickly but not the house. He examined animal abuse issues that would help pass the bill.

Most major serial killers start out abusing animals Grendall said and there are double links between spousal and animal abuse. Animals are often abused in homes where spousal abuse takes place and vice versa. Links between domestic abuse and animal abuse are one reason that the bill requires Humane Society workers to report child abuse.

“The bill increases penalties for perpetrators of animal abuse and most importantly requires them to receive psychiatric treatment.” Grendell said.

Richard Miller, volunteer for the Humane Society, hopes that the new laws requiring psychiatric treatment to animal abuse perpetrators may help correct some minor problems.

The bill was also detailed not to include goldfish, farm animals, wild animals and hunting dogs. Definitions were written as to what would consist of a hunting dog or wild animal.

“We were afraid that a Yorkshire Terrier would become a hunting dog,” Grendell said as he chuckled.

Grendell also said that he has received harsh criticism for supporting the bill. He said he always says the same thing to people who write to him and say they are opposed to it.

“I would be glad to sit with you and you can explain to me why it’s good to abuse animals. They never write me back,” he laughed.

Despite some opposition to the bill, many welcome the bill and feel that it will help stop animal abuse.

Jacqui Nathan, President of Wood County Humane Society said, “We are just so pleased to see steps taken to increase penalties to the cruelty of animals in Ohio.”