BG brings in quarterbacks

With the signing of the new football class, one important decision made by head coach Gregg Brandon was the addition of two quarterbacks, Benjy Kennedy and Nick Morris.

“I think you need to recruit as many quarterbacks as you can because they are the best athletes on the high school field,” Brandon said. “Those two kids will be great additions.”

Kennedy, 6’1″ and 185 lbs., is a two-year starter at quarterback from Morris High School in Morris, Ill. While starting his team was 24-2, won two league titles and finished second in the state his junior year.

He is a two-time MVP and earned All-State and league MVP honors as a senior.

“Benjy Kennedy, from Morris, is just a lighted up kind of guy. He’s an electric player and highly skilled,” Brandon said.

Kennedy completed 61 percent of his passes for 1,800 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2002. He also rushed for 650 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Thurman, 6’4″ and 232 lbs, was a quarterback at Warren High School in Warren, Mich. He was named All-State, All-County, All-East and All-Detroit News his senior year.

He was a Top-30 Blue Chip and helped his team to win the MAC Blue Conference Championship his senior year.

“Nick Thurman, I think is kind of a steal,” Brandon said. “He is a kid from up in Detroit, Mott High School, who throws a baseball 90 miles an hour. He could go out in the draft for baseball and he’s going to play baseball here.”

Thurman also helped his high school baseball team to a state runner-up finish his junior year.

“He’s a quarterback that’s multitalented,” Brandon said. “He could be a tight end. He could be a linebacker. He’s a pitcher. Nick can play just about anywhere he wants.”

He was the captain of his football team for three years and is a four-year letter winner.

“Nick has the ability to play a number of positions,” Brandon said. “I’m not necessarily saying that Nick’s going to be the quarterback, but he’ll get an opportunity there.”

Another key position Brandon filled was that of the punter. Brandon signed Josef Timchenko from Glendora, Cal.

“Josef Timchenko is a kid out of California who can boom it,” Brandon said. “He’ll be a good addition.”

Timchenko has been attending Pasadena City College for the past two years. He was the Special Teams Player of the Year last season and helped his team to win the Mission Conference Championship two years ago.

He is a 2001 graduate of Arroyo High School making four of five field goals and averaging 43 yards per punt his senior year. For his efforts he was named Special Teams Player of the Year in 2001.

“There will be good competition there at that position,” Brandon said. “I think Nate Fry, a kid in our program, a kid out of Findlay, is going to compete for that spot as well. I got spoiled at punter now with Pat Fleming. We need to step it up now. One of those guys needs to emerge. We created some competition there with bringing in Joe.”