Chuck D speaks against war, promotes education

Despite being 30 minutes late due to traffic, Chuck D was greeted by an anxious and enthusiastic crowd for his speech Saturday afternoon in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom.

Chuck D, noted for his work in the rap group Public Enemy, as well as his 12-year stint as a motivational speaker, came to the University as part of the Black Issues Conference, sponsored by the Office of Multicultural and Academic Initiatives.

Brought to the University by UAO, Chuck D’s speech is just one of many events planned to celebrate Black History Month on campus.

In his speech, Chuck D focused on the concept of commercialization. He spoke about money, and the power that accompanies it.

“America is all about money,” Chuck D said, adding that it is important to not “buy into what corporations sell you.” Chuck D also discussed politics, mostly focusing on the impending war.

Speaking with a very anti-war sentiment, he chastised President Bush for his pro-war stance, and referred to him mostly as “that son of a Bush.”

He also emphasized the importance of higher education. “You can’t take shortcuts to your future,” Chuck D said. “It’s important to follow your dreams, but you also need to prepare for reality.”

Continuing with education, Chuck D stated that students face three choices after graduation:

“Have a business, have a job or have no job,” he said. He left the audience with the thought that having a good education makes those three options much more attractive.